Old 28-03-2003, 05:44 AM
jammer

Default The first toad. BOO HOO!!!!!!!

I am such an idiot. I saw my first toad of the year today. A nice big
fat one. I happily took him over to the pond. He jumped in and
couldn't get out easily and i helped him out. (I am working on that
problem and currently have a brick for them if they can find it)
Well, i wish i would have left well enough alone!!!! When i put him
down, he scurried over to the opening in the fence and went to the
neighbor's yard! WAHH!!! I would like to get some tads and block that
dang hole. Do pond stores ever have tads? I can almost see pet stores
in Texas having them, but it probably isn't going to be that easy. I
also want some snails but will go to the pet store. I am just so upset
as in my mind this is the same one that has been here for a long time
and i had to run him off!!! I am more upset than the ordinary well
balanced person should be, I am sure. One more thing. Do you think
frogs/toads can SMELL water?

I am waiting for a freeze over the weekend and then will begin
cleaning out the pond, seeing what i have as far as hyacinths, (I sunk
them last year) I see green in the middle of some of them. I wont
deal with hyacinths again next year. Way too much trouble and rotting
leaves. And hey, i have two baby lilly leaves that have sprung to the
surface in two days. And that baby water iris i have been fusing with
for 5-6 months, has 2 new leaves after being outside for 3 days.
Everything is growing very well. I need more plants though.

Take care and i hope spring comes for everyone real soon.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 28-03-2003, 02:56 PM
K30a

You need a lady toad to lure him back,
or, if he was a she, you need a guy toad...
k30a
Old 01-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Zeuspaul

Perhaps calling the toad would work. I have a CD with frog and toad
calls. It was tried with Pacific Tree frogs. The frogs responded to
the calls on the CD. The Pacific Tree frog has several calls. The
frogs responded differently to the respective variations. I want to
attract toads to my ponds as well. I am hoping the CD will do the
trick.

Zeuspaul

Old 01-04-2003, 07:44 AM
jammer

On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 04:10:56 GMT, Zeuspaul
wrote:

Perhaps calling the toad would work. I have a CD with frog and toad
calls. It was tried with Pacific Tree frogs. The frogs responded to
the calls on the CD. The Pacific Tree frog has several calls. The
frogs responded differently to the respective variations. I want to
attract toads to my ponds as well. I am hoping the CD will do the
trick.

Wow, that is cool. Please let me know how it works.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 04-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Roger Grady

Perhaps calling the toad would work. I have a CD with frog and toad
calls. It was tried with Pacific Tree frogs. The frogs responded to
the calls on the CD. The Pacific Tree frog has several calls. The
frogs responded differently to the respective variations. I want to
attract toads to my ponds as well. I am hoping the CD will do the
trick.

Don't need no stinkin' CD here. :-) Just build the pond and they will
come. First toad appeared Mon. or Tues. - there was 4 of them last
night. I haven't been out to count tonight but it's pretty noisy out
there. It's fascinating how focused they are on their calling. I've
poked their throat sac, patted their back, they just keep going.
Should be a bumper crop of "toadpoles" this year.

Roger Grady
To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address

Old 04-04-2003, 06:32 AM
K30a

Roger wrote It's fascinating how focused they are on their calling.

A male in pursuit of whoopee, I'm not surprised at all!
;-)

k30a
Old 05-04-2003, 11:20 PM
~ jan

A male in pursuit of whoopee, I'm not surprised at all!
k30a

"Over the fence or under the gate" by Dr. Phil.

I was really tempted to put out a recorder myself, but out of the zillion
of taddy poles I had last year I figured at least ONE would be loyal. Took
a couple days after hearing the one from my neighbor's pond and now I have
two croaking. I'm expecting more once this cool weather passes. Last year I
had to go frognapping from the neighbor, it's gratifying that this year
they found it on their own. )))) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 06-04-2003, 09:20 AM
jammer

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 14:08:47 -0800, ~ jan
wrote:

I was really tempted to put out a recorder myself, but out of the zillion
of taddy poles I had last year I figured at least ONE would be loyal. Took
a couple days after hearing the one from my neighbor's pond and now I have
two croaking. I'm expecting more once this cool weather passes. Last year I
had to go frognapping from the neighbor, it's gratifying that this year
they found it on their own. )))) ~ jan

There is a park up the street and toads gather under the street light.
Is it cruel to go get them and bring them home?

Old 06-04-2003, 10:44 AM
K30a

Toads don't live in the pond. They are land dwellers who visit the pond to
reproduce.
You can try and bring some home but if it isn't time for them to make baby
toads they may not stick around.
The area under the light is great for snagging insects who are attracted to the
light.Setting up a decorative light by the pond would attract them to the pond
area.
k30a

Old 08-04-2003, 04:44 AM
~ jan

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 22:58:27 -0500, jammer wrote:

I just thought of something. There is one of those covered lightbulbs
with the long orange cord in the garage. Ugly yes, but it might
attract some young froggie lovers. Hmmm

Hey, Jammer, this is how I got my guys to put power out to my ponds. Course
I didn't realize it was gonna work at the time. Ugly orange cord going
across the top of the chain link fence to the Lily pond. I requested on one
of their hardware trips to find me a grey ext cord so it would blend into
the fence better. They came home with all the fixin's to do the wiring.
Finally after 7 years got my koi ponds wired too. ) ~ jan

Old 08-04-2003, 04:44 AM
jammer

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 20:36:46 -0700, ~ jan
wrote:

Hey, Jammer, this is how I got my guys to put power out to my ponds. Course
I didn't realize it was gonna work at the time. Ugly orange cord going
across the top of the chain link fence to the Lily pond. I requested on one
of their hardware trips to find me a grey ext cord so it would blend into
the fence better. They came home with all the fixin's to do the wiring.
Finally after 7 years got my koi ponds wired too. ) ~ jan

YOU were the one!!!! I remember reading that 1 1/2 yrs ago when my
pond was a dream! I think you may be onto something!
Old 08-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

wrote:

Hey, Jammer, this is how I got my guys to put power out to my ponds. Course
I didn't realize it was gonna work at the time. Ugly orange cord going
across the top of the chain link fence to the Lily pond. I requested on one
of their hardware trips to find me a grey ext cord so it would blend into
the fence better. They came home with all the fixin's to do the wiring.
Finally after 7 years got my koi ponds wired too. ) ~ jan

YOU were the one!!!! I remember reading that 1 1/2 yrs ago when my
pond was a dream! I think you may be onto something!

Hey Jan,

I finally came to the conclusion that my pond should have
had the wiring installed on the opposite side. Can you tell
me how I break this news to my DH?

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 08-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Russ and Cathy

The other day i bought a 3 tiered cascading pond kit to add to my gardens.
Now not only does my husband have to wire to my 5by8ft new pond but also to
this cascading pond that will be about 75 ft from the house. Boy, i sure ask
alot of him.
The 3 tiered cascading pond is made up of three 19 gallon ponds. Any
suggestions about what to add to it? I know what i want around it ( i am
growing some ornamental grass and i want to also place a weeping mulberry
tree near it) but i dont know what i can do inside them since the ponds are
only 19 gallons each.......... any ideas?
Cathy

Old 08-04-2003, 03:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"Russ and Cathy" wrote in message
The other day i bought a 3 tiered cascading pond kit to add to my gardens.
Now not only does my husband have to wire to my 5by8ft new pond but also

this cascading pond that will be about 75 ft from the house. Boy, i sure

ask
alot of him.
The 3 tiered cascading pond is made up of three 19 gallon ponds. Any
suggestions about what to add to it? I know what i want around it ( i am
growing some ornamental grass and i want to also place a weeping mulberry
tree near it) but i dont know what i can do inside them since the ponds

are
only 19 gallons each.......... any ideas?
Cathy

snip

The SO and I looked at liners last night...Ouch, we're looking at $500.00 or
so...Then I need to rent a trencher to go 100 feet to the pond, and then I
am hiring an electrician to do a service setup...She is now starting to
doubt our new lake.

BV.

BOO, HOO, HOO, .... Texas 0 23-11-2005 12:14 PM
BOO, HOO, HOO, .... Australia 0 23-11-2005 11:49 AM
Boo Hoo! Iris Cohen Bonsai 8 16-08-2004 08:21 PM
Boo Hoo! Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 08-08-2004 01:58 PM
WOO HOO~ madgard Gardening 12 25-02-2003 11:53 PM