Old 13-08-2008, 01:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Mushrooms that look like Brains??

I have some mushrooms growing on my front lawn. Not the usual kind
that look like the ones you'd put on pizza, (they LOOK like those).

These mushrooms look like brains, (really!)

I dig them up, and they take divots out of my lawn that are 6" deep.
In less than a week they're back.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to eradicate them??

Thanks!
Old 13-08-2008, 12:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

"FLSTCI" wrote in message

I have some mushrooms growing on my front lawn. Not the usual kind
that look like the ones you'd put on pizza, (they LOOK like those).

These mushrooms look like brains, (really!)

I dig them up, and they take divots out of my lawn that are 6" deep.
In less than a week they're back.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to eradicate them??

why do you want to eradicate one of gods creatures?

Old 13-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSTCI View Post
I have some mushrooms growing on my front lawn. Not the usual kind that look like the ones you'd put on pizza, (they LOOK like those). These mushrooms look like brains, (really!) I dig them up, and they take divots out of my lawn that are 6" deep. In less than a week they're back.
Anyone have any thoughts on how to eradicate them??
It is not usually considered practical to attempt to eradicate mushrooms growing in your lawn. Sometimes the normal application of lawncare products (fertilizer and weedkiller) may kill them off anyway.

Are there any dead tree roots underlying your lawn (eg from a tree cut down a few years ago)? I have some fairly large fungi in my lawn feeding on large rotting underground roots, and I reckon that once they have done their job in breaking down the wood, they'll be gone. They look a bit brain-like.

There are many wild mushrooms that don't look like the ones on your pizza that are highly desirable to eat, even some that look like brains. Morels (Morchella) are often described as brain-like, highly desirable, but they are too small for your description and it is the wrong time of year for them. More plausibly, it could be Sparassis crispa (cauliflower mushroom), which is also very desirable, provided you pick it early enough, otherwise it goes rubbery. There are also plenty of other things it could be. So make sure you get an absolutely positive identification before eating it as a few wild mushrooms are deadly poisonous, even if cooked.
Old 14-08-2008, 01:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Many years ago I attended a meeting of the Boston Micological Society.
There was a lady there that said she had studied mushrooms for 15 years and
had finally gotten up the courage to try one that she had identified.

--
echinosum

Old 17-08-2008, 03:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"FLSTCI" wrote in message

I have some mushrooms growing on my front lawn. Not the usual kind
that look like the ones you'd put on pizza, (they LOOK like those).

Hmm, I don't think I would put any mushrooms growing in the yard on
pizza or
anyplace near my mouth! lol.

www.cheapcaliforniatravel.com

Old 17-08-2008, 05:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

on 8/12/2008 8:00 PM FLSTCI said the following:
I have some mushrooms growing on my front lawn. Not the usual kind
that look like the ones you'd put on pizza, (they LOOK like those).

These mushrooms look like brains, (really!)

I dig them up, and they take divots out of my lawn that are 6" deep.
In less than a week they're back.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to eradicate them??

Thanks!

Its common name is Brain Mushroom, or False Morel. Biological name
Gyromitra esculenta.
http://www.naturallist.com/fungipo2.htm

--

Bill