Old 10-09-2008, 05:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Dethatchers and core aerators

I just recently got a lawn tractor and was going to buy a core aerator
attachment, since it's been years that the lawn was aerated. But is it
also necessary to dethatch first?

Recently on Ask This Old House Roger Cooke rennoavted a lawn by first
dethatching, then core aerating, then sweeeping compost over the site
and reseeding. I thought that aeration was intended to take care of
thatch to a degree.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:53 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

FDR said:

I just recently got a lawn tractor and was going to buy a core aerator
attachment, since it's been years that the lawn was aerated. But is it
also necessary to dethatch first?

Recently on Ask This Old House Roger Cooke rennoavted a lawn by first
dethatching, then core aerating, then sweeeping compost over the site
and reseeding. I thought that aeration was intended to take care of
thatch to a degree.

How thick is the thatch layer?
--

Eggs

-It ain't the jeans that make your butt look fat.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 10, 4:53*am, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
FDR said:

I just recently got a lawn tractor and was going to buy a core aerator
attachment, since it's been years that the lawn was aerated. *But is it
also necessary to dethatch first?

Recently on Ask This Old House Roger Cooke rennoavted a lawn by first
dethatching, then core aerating, then sweeeping compost over the site
and reseeding. *I thought that aeration was intended to take care of
thatch to a degree.

Aeration will help reduce thatch, but won't help as much as
dethatching. As per Eggs question, key here is how much thatch you
have and if it's enough that it's an actual problem.

I would disagree with Roger Cooke on doing both dethatching and
aerating at the same time. Both of these tear up the turf to some
degree, dethatching more than aerating. So, I would do one in
Spring, other in Fall, to give the turf time to recover.

Don't know what kind of aerator you're looking at, but I'd get one
that is really a core aerator, ie it takes out actual plugs, as
opposed to solid tine type. I think for most people, it makes more
sense to just rent one every couple years.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

FDR said:

[...]

It would be a core aerator that pulls behind the tractor.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
FDR said:

I just recently got a lawn tractor and was going to buy a core aerator
attachment, since it's been years that the lawn was aerated. But is it
also necessary to dethatch first?

Recently on Ask This Old House Roger Cooke rennoavted a lawn by first
dethatching, then core aerating, then sweeeping compost over the site
and reseeding. I thought that aeration was intended to take care of
thatch to a degree.

How thick is the thatch layer?

In my opinion not very thick. But I'm no expert

Old 10-09-2008, 09:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Like this one?
http://www.landpride.com/products/pr...prod_ca25.html
If so, that will get it done very well.
Many of the "pull behinds" are only solid spikes, which don't do much good.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

[top-posting fixed]

newsreader said:

FDR wrote:
It would be a core aerator that pulls behind the tractor.

Like this one?
http://www.landpride.com/products/pr...prod_ca25.html
If so, that will get it done very well.
Many of the "pull behinds" are only solid spikes, which don't do much good.

Solid spikes do a fine job, for what they were designed for. That wouldn't
be aeration, rather cross-cutting.

--

Eggs

Do Amish people get one phone call when arrested?
Old 11-09-2008, 05:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

FDR wrote:
It would be a core aerator that pulls behind the tractor.

Yeah, like that one. But that one sure looks heavy duty.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

FDR wrote:
It would be a core aerator that pulls behind the tractor.

Yeah, like that one. But that one sure looks heavy duty.

I locally rent a tow behind core aerator every fall.
The aerator pictured in the link is for a tractor with a triple hitch, not a
lawn tractor or mower.

Lawn aerators Barry Ward Australia 4 17-03-2007 11:35 PM
Lawn aerators Chris Hogg United Kingdom 8 11-04-2006 06:05 PM
Plug Aerators....? North Carolina 14 03-06-2004 05:06 PM
Manual push aerators and dethatcher q. Jack Gardening 1 08-05-2004 03:04 AM
Ryan aerators Robert Olin Lawns 5 03-12-2003 01:32 AM