Old 13-09-2008, 01:46 AM
Registered User

Default Fungus growing on our lawn

Hey. We have some fungus growing on our lawn, and it has been there for a few years. We have overhanging trees (possible cause?)

Is there anything we can do to treat the fungus?

Please see attached photos...

http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?i...19smallgw1.jpg

http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?i...20smallke4.jpg

Any help is much appreciated :-)
Old 13-09-2008, 02:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

tp123 wrote:
Hey. We have some fungus growing on our lawn, and it has been there for
a few years. We have overhanging trees (possible cause?)

Is there anything we can do to treat the fungus?

Please see attached photos...

[image: http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?i...9smallgw1.jpg]

[image: http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?i...0smallke4.jpg]

Any help is much appreciated :-)

Yes there is a funacide you can purchase at any Home Depot, Lowes or
Lesco distributor
Old 14-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Registered User

"Is there anything we can do to treat the fungus?"

If you would like to avoid chemicals then set about aeration using a garden fork for starters. This will let air into the root zone.

One of the major reasons you will have this fungal disease is lack of air circulation in the garden, probably overhanging branches which are dripping water onto one spot constantly and low light levels.

Improve the soil condition by top dressing and overseeding and a regular feed and you will start to restore this area to grass..
Old 15-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Registered User

Thanks for the replies. On the matter of aeration, would I need to use a hollow-tine aerator, or would the 'spike' type be okay?
Old 15-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pan[_3_] View Post
tp123 wrote:[color=blue][i]
Hey. We have some fungus growing on our lawn, and it has been there for
a few years. We have overhanging trees (possible cause?)

Is there anything we can do to treat the fungus?
Yes there is a fungicide you can purchase at any Home Depot, Lowes or
Lesco distributor
The thing you can see is not the living part of the fungus, rather it is the fruiting body. So putting fungicide on it does not help, rather like putting weedkiller on a plant you have to treat the leaves not the seeds. In general putting fungicide on lawns for fungi growing in the soil is not reckoned to be effective. But it is possible that this is actually parasitising the grass itself, I'm not sure.

The particular object you have growing is familiar to me, but I'd have to check some books at home to remember the details. I've not seen it in a garden before, but I normally see it on poor, acidic soils. I think if your lawn was in general healthier, as juicer says, you'd get less of it.

Old 16-09-2008, 01:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

I always thought lime was good for that stuff but it doesn't say that in the
link you provided. I have had the slime mold in the past and used lime and
hollow core aeration to fix it. At first when it was really bad I used a
solution of hydrated lime and sprayed that on . I also modified my watering
practices and put less water on those spots and only in the early morning.
I even poured some clorox in my well and watered with that when it was
really bad.

"echinosum" wrote in message

echinosum;815822 Wrote:
The thing you can see is not the living part of the fungus, rather it is
the fruiting body.

I'm wrong. I knew this was familiar... it's dog lichen. Here is RHS
advice on dealing with it. http://tinyurl.com/6es9pv

--
echinosum

Old 16-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
The thing you can see is not the living part of the fungus, rather it is the fruiting body.
I'm wrong. I knew this was familiar... it's dog lichen. Here is RHS advice on dealing with it. http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles1005/lichen.asp