Old 16-09-2008, 07:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Killing "Weed Trees"

I have a large perimeter garden in my back yard which is filled with nice
perennials (various types of hostas and ferns). The problem I am having is
what I call "weed trees" growing in this garden. I try to get to them when
they are small and can simply be pulled out (or dug out) by the root. But I
have let some grow too big, and even digging them out by the root is not a
realistic option as the roots are too big and too deep. It would take too
long, be very hard on my body, and I still wouldn't be able to remove all of
the root. So I've been cutting them down as close to the ground as
possible. The problem is, most of them invariably grow back and in 2 years
I am repeating this very laborious process. I would like to kill these
"weed trees" once and for all.

I know there are root killer and stump killer products that you can put on a
root/stump to kill it and keep it from growing back. Is anyone familiar
with a good product I could use for this problem? Specific product
brand/name and where available would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 16-09-2008, 09:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 16, 2:32*pm, "Gary" wrote:
[...]

Any of the brush killer products will work or even Roundup/glyphosate
applied at 6%. If the trees are larger than a couple feet, cut them
down and when they start to grow back, whack them when they are about
a foot or so high. After a few weeks, if there is any new growth,
repeat. Just be sure to control where you apply it. You may want to
use an old cut out garbage can or similar if necessary to keep it off
the desirable plants.
Old 24-09-2008, 08:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 16, 1:32*pm, "Gary" wrote:
[...]

As trader said, most any herbicide will work, if it's "concentrated"
and not a diluted "ready-to-use" product. I find it will work best
when applied to a fresh cut shoot/stump. Use full strength out of the
bottle and apply with a small brush to the cambium layer (that thin
layer just inside the bark). That's the "veins" of the plant and
applying it there will take it to the roots real fast.

KC
Old 25-09-2008, 03:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Thanks trader and KC.

I took your advice and made some inquiries at my local yard and garden
center. They recommended RoundUp Weed and Grass Killer "Concentrate Plus".
It comes in a 16 oz. white bottle with a red cap. The guy who helped me
told me the same thing -- brush it on at full concentrate (undiluted) to the
freshly cut stump with a paint brush. He added that drilling holes or
cutting grooves in the stump and applying the RoundUp inside might help it
penetrate and kill better.

I'll try this in a couple days.

Old 28-09-2008, 05:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Many years ago people killed stumps by pounding a copper penny or two into
them. Pennies don't have much copper these days so I doubt this will work,
but copper nails are available. Let us know if you try it and if it works.

You might try getting some copper sulfate and sprinkling that on the stump.
That chemical used to be dragged around in burlap bags in order to get rid
of algae in swimming pools.