Old 22-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Registered User

Smile Weed Identification, what is it and how do I kill it?

Hi All,

This is my first post/ visit to your site. I would be very grateful for any help or advice you could give me.

We have a very difficult to shift weed in our garden. It has long redish root, which is long and narrow that simply snap when you try to remove it. They seem to travel straight down rather than outwards. It has taken over our lawn.
I have not been able to find reference to it in any of the books I have looked at or on any of the web sites I have seen.

I have posted the following links hoping someone could advise me as to what it is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...h/IMG_1250.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...h/IMG_1249.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...h/IMG_1248.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...h/IMG_1247.jpg

I have tried to get rid of it using chemicals, burners and digging them out. The weed doesnt seem to flower, but it does travel everywhere. For clarification, I am UK based in Milton Keynes.

Any advise or help is really appreciated.

Thanks all.

Love the site by the way
Old 22-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Registered User

We have a very difficult to shift weed in our garden. It has long redish root, which is long and narrow that simply snap when you try to remove it. They seem to travel straight down rather than outwards. It has taken over our lawn.
I have not been able to find reference to it in any of the books I have looked at or on any of the web sites I have seen.

Hard to work out the scale from your photos, but my guess would be creeping buttercup. If I'm right, it kind of loops over the ground and then sends down roots, altho they're white in my experience.. If I'm wrong, someone will soon jump in. If it's only in your lawn, the easy answer is to apply a "weed and feed" dressing in the Spring.
Old 23-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Conroy View Post
Hard to work out the scale from your photos, but my guess would be creeping buttercup. If I'm right, it kind of loops over the ground and then sends down roots, altho they're white in my experience.. If I'm wrong, someone will soon jump in. If it's only in your lawn, the easy answer is to apply a "weed and feed" dressing in the Spring.
Hi Janet, thanks for replying. Our weed produces no flowers at all, and having googled creeping buttercup it doesn't look like our weed. The photos make it difficult to see properly. It grows through the lawn and tries to cross paths and borders.

Thanks for your help.

Chris
Old 23-11-2008, 01:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Weed Identification, what is it and how do I kill it?

http://tinyurl.com/5m4l43
http://tinyurl.com/6abu7r
http://tinyurl.com/6ogpaa
http://tinyurl.com/66r6nn

I have tried to get rid of it using chemicals, burners and digging them
out. The weed doesnt seem to flower, but it does travel everywhere. For
clarification, I am UK based in Milton Keynes.

Any advise or help is really appreciated.

Maybe Potentilla reptans.

http://www.plant-identification.co.u...tilla-reptans-
1.jpg

Could be your attempts to bring it under control are enough to stop it
blooming, but not enough to wipe it out.

Sometimes viney things put more effort into spreading vegetatively
rather than by flower and seed.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

After enlightenment, the laundry.

email valid but not regularly monitored

for better results:
change user name to 'kiewicz'
change domain name to 'comcast.net'

Old 23-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kiewicz[_2_] View Post
Pooch said:

[...]

Whatever it is, I would still say "weed and feed", either liquid or granules in the Spring.

Old 26-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Registered User

Location: UK

hi
I have been treating lawns for years and I have not seen your

This means that It is not a "weed" possibly related to the strawberry thus is will only flower briefly in spring not usually enough time between mowing. As it has has taken fancy to your lawn you need to do the following.

To kill it of please follow these following instructions.

Get verdone (garden center) crush the leaves and paint on a strong version of verdone 1 part verdone to 20 parts water. The bruised leaves will help the systemic weedkiller get into the waxy part of the leaf and then into the plant. You may need to do 30% of all the leaves at the same time do not spray as this may catch the lawn which will not take delight in such a strong weed kill.

You will also have to watch the temperatures as weed killers work best in temperatures higher that 8 degrees (midday)

I hope this helps
Old 29-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn expert View Post
[...]

Hi Guys,

Really appreciate your help. I will come back in the spring and let you know how it goes.