Old 30-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Registered User

Smile Need help creating the perfect lawn ...

Now that spring is just about upon us I need some help in creating the perfect lawn to work on and enjoy over the coming summer months . I moved into the house at Christmas . Lawn is currently a bit ratty with some moss in areas . Need help with the various stages of development required to create the desired effect . I stay nr Glasgow in the west of Scotland so water irrigation isnt a problem !!

Your kind assistance is much appreciated - thanks - Barry
Old 01-04-2009, 06:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Need help creating the perfect lawn ...

--
por911t

A book can and I'm sure has been written on this subject. There are
too many variables here to even know where to begin. Like what your
definition of a "perfect" lawn is, what kind of grass is there now, is
it suited for being your perfect lawn, what kind of topsoil you have,
etc.

As an example, one guy's perfect lawn is one that looks like what you
see on an advertisement for lawn fertilizer, ie deep dark green, lush,
not a single weed. Someone else's idea of perfect is one that looks
good, but needs a lot less maintenance than that other perfect lawn,
less watering, less chemicals, is more disease free, durable etc.

You can of course balance those out against each other. But I think
you will find for most people to get to a "perfect" lawn, if you're
starting with a mess, it's usually better to kill the whole thing off
and reseed with the type of grass you want. If you have some crap,
coarse grass, it's never going to have the color and texture of a
perfect lawn. And by far the best time for renovation is early
Fall. Then you have declining temps, far less competition from
weeds, declining water reqts and the grass has a long time to
establish before getting to higher summer temps and stress.

You may want to consider just taking some modest steps to make what
you have look better this season, eg fertilize, deal with weeds, etc.
then renovate in the Fall.

If there are any govt agricultural services in your area, oftern they
offer info, pamplets, soil testing services, etc that can be of use.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Getting you lawn in order is not that diffcult. It does take time
though.
Its hard for anyone here to give you advice, there are too many
factors, i.e. location, what sort of problems you have now ect..
A good rule of thumb is:
March is the time for crabgrass preventor (Pre-emergents) It's still
not too late to put the pre-emergent down Lesco as a product for those
who missed the window of opportunity
April/ May Broad leaf killer, kills 99% of the weeds in your yard
(Clovers dandylions ect)
June; basic feed fertilizer
In my area NJ, I do nothing to my yard for the rest of the summer..
Late Sept early Oct. I aerate and seed

I also lime once a month it doesn't hurt if you over lime it.

the following spring, I start it all over. You dont need to aerate
every year, I do it simply beacuse between all my neighbors, we bought
one. so i can do it anytime.

The other thing I would tell you is the quaility of the products that
you put down.. I used Scotts for years, it works well but it's too
expensive for the amount you get. I began using LESCO and I'm getting
more bang for my buck.

Get your weeds under control and your yard should flurish. Get the
grass nice and thick and you'll have less weeds.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 5, 3:49*pm, Peter Pan wrote:
Getting you lawn in order is not that diffcult. It does take time
though.
Its hard for anyone here to give you advice, there are too many
factors, i.e. location, what sort of problems you have now ect..

He stated the location, it's near Glasgow. There is no Lesco there
and I doubt Scotts porducts are available either.

A good rule of thumb is:
March is the time for crabgrass preventor (Pre-emergents) It's still
not too late to put the pre-emergent down Lesco as a product for those
who missed the window of opportunity
April/ May * Broad leaf killer, kills 99% of the weeds in your yard
(Clovers dandylions ect)
June; *basic feed fertilizer
In my area NJ, * I do nothing to my yard for the rest of the summer..
Late Sept early Oct. I aerate and seed

I also lime once a month it doesn't hurt if you over lime it.

And now any doubt that you are clueless has been removed.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 6, 8:13*am, wrote:
[...]

So then tell me genius, What where did I go wrong?

Need help creating the perfect lawn ... por911t United Kingdom 1 28-04-2009 07:39 PM
Creating a New Lawn Newgardner Lawns 4 02-06-2004 09:04 AM
Advice on creating a camomile lawn Michael Green Gardening 5 31-12-2003 01:20 PM
Creating aquarium software....need pictures Picasso Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 13-11-2003 08:32 AM
Creating aquarium software....need pictures, videos, article Picasso Ponds 0 05-11-2003 02:32 PM