Old 14-04-2009, 03:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Is Organic TopSoil Worth It??

Hi everyone,

Just want to get everybodys opinion on whether you think "Organic
Topsoil" is worth the price for fixing bare spots, and filling in holes
in a yard??

In the past we have tried 3 different kinds of topsoil for
patching/fixing bare spots in our lawn.

We tried some generic one from Home Depot called "Old Castle Topsoil".
It was something like $1.19 for a 40 pound bag. The stuff was absolutely
terrible!!! It was wet and all stuck together, and smelly!! It had tons
of rocks and sticks in it, pieces of paper and plastic, someones broken
metal eyeglasses frame, pieces of black roof shingles, etc, etc.

There was also a new one that came out last year ( 2008 ), at Home Depot
called "Scotts Premium Topsoil", which was $1.99 for a 30 pound bag. It
is "screened" topsoil with an organic and peat moss mix. This one was
much better than the "Old Castle" one, but you got 10 pounds LESS, and
is was more money!!

The one that we really like is one we got at Ace Hardware. Its called
"Organic TopSoil" and its from a company called "Majestic-Earth". It
comes in a 30 pound bag. It is "screened" topsoil, and it's a really
soft soil, that is Dark Black in color. It looks to be what gardeners
call "Black Gold".

It USE to be $1.99 for a 30 pound bag when we bought it last year ( 2008
), now all of a sudden it SKYROCKETED in price!!! We went there this
weekend to get some, and it is now priced at $3.49 a bag!!!!! A $1.49
increase in one year!!?? What the hell!?

We live in the Northeast, and while we didn't really have a terrible
winter with any major storms, the sander trucks really did a number on
our treebelt putting down TONS of sand and road salt. Our treebelt is
loaded with sand, and has a ton of barespots thanks to the "sanders"
putting down sand and salt over the winter.

We now have to patch and reseed the bare spots on the treebelt, and well
as other bare spots throughout the yard. So basically my question is, is
"Organic TopSoil" at $3.49 a bag worth it?? Is it really that much
better for the lawn, and for growing new grass seed??

$3.49 for a 30 pound bag of topsoil seems way too high in price?? I know
that we aren't going back to the $1.19 "unscreened" "Old Castle" one,
filled up with rocks, sticks, junk, and other debris!! So we may just
stick with the "Scotts Premium Organic Mix Topsoil" at $1.99 for 30
pounds??

The only thing is, is that the "Scotts Premium Topsoil" is not a 100%
percent organic topsoil, its just regular topsoil with organic topsoil
and peat moss mixed in?? It is a "screened" topsoil though, so you don't
have to worry about any rocks, sticks, or other debris in there.

Is Ace Hardware way overpriced for the "Majestic-Earth Organic TopSoil"
at $3.49 a bag, or is it worth it???

Any info. would greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Old 15-04-2009, 12:27 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 14, 10:44*am, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:
[...]

I think the term organic topsoil is probably a lot like the term
"natural" applied to health and beauty products. Meaning that it's
pretty broad and as long as there is something in it to back up the
claim, you can go ahead and call it what you want. There are
standards and at least some policing of organic vegetables, but never
heard of any such thing for soil. As an example, here in NJ we have a
local sewerage authority that markets what they call an organic
fertilizer. I've used it and it's a fine product for what it does.
But we all know what it's made of and surely they don't get all the
vast amount of chemicals that are contained in the municipal sewerage
out of it.

I'd go by how the product looks, as opposed to what it says on the
bag. And if you need larger quantities, I'd be looking at local
suppliers of screened topsoil that can deliver a load for you. Find
one where you can see the stuff before it shows up.