Old 14-04-2009, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is Organic Topsoil Worth It??

Hi everyone,

Just want to get everybodys opinion on whether you think "Organic
Topsoil" is worth the price for fixing bare spots, and filling in holes
in a yard??

In the past we have tried 3 different kinds of topsoil for
patching/fixing bare spots in our lawn.

We tried some generic one from Home Depot called "Old Castle Topsoil".
It was something like $1.19 for a 40 pound bag. The stuff was absolutely
terrible!!! It was wet and all stuck together, and smelly!! It had tons
of rocks and sticks in it, pieces of paper and plastic, someones broken
metal eyeglasses frame, pieces of black roof shingles, etc, etc.

There was also a new one that came out last year ( 2008 ), at Home Depot
called "Scotts Premium Topsoil", which was $1.99 for a 30 pound bag. It
is "screened" topsoil with an organic and peat moss mix. This one was
much better than the "Old Castle" one, but you got 10 pounds LESS, and
is was more money!!

The one that we really like is one we got at Ace Hardware. Its called
"Organic TopSoil" and its from a company called "Majestic-Earth". It
comes in a 30 pound bag. It is "screened" topsoil, and it's a really
soft soil, that is Dark Black in color. It looks to be what gardeners
call "Black Gold".

It USE to be $1.99 for a 30 pound bag when we bought it last year ( 2008
), now all of a sudden it SKYROCKETED in price!!! We went there this
weekend to get some, and it is now priced at $3.49 a bag!!!!! A $1.49
increase in one year!!?? What the hell!?

We live in the Northeast, and while we didn't really have a terrible
winter with any major storms, the sander trucks really did a number on
our treebelt putting down TONS of sand and road salt. Our treebelt is
loaded with sand, and has a ton of barespots thanks to the "sanders"
putting down sand and salt over the winter.

We now have to patch and reseed the bare spots on the treebelt, and well
as other bare spots throughout the yard. So basically my question is, is
"Organic TopSoil" at $3.49 a bag worth it?? Is it really that much
better for the lawn, and for growing new grass seed??

$3.49 for a 30 pound bag of topsoil seems way too high in price?? I know
that we aren't going back to the $1.19 "unscreened" "Old Castle" one,
filled up with rocks, sticks, junk, and other debris!! So we may just
stick with the "Scotts Premium Organic Mix Topsoil" at $1.99 for 30
pounds??

The only thing is, is that the "Scotts Premium Topsoil" is not a 100%
percent organic topsoil, its just regular topsoil with organic topsoil
and peat moss mixed in?? It is a "screened" topsoil though, so you don't
have to worry about any rocks, sticks, or other debris in there.

Is Ace Hardware way overpriced for the "Majestic-Earth Organic TopSoil"
at $3.49 a bag, or is it worth it???

Any info. would greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Old 14-04-2009, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(MICHELLE H.) wrote:

[...]

Is your lawn organic? If yes, I'd dig (or just spread on surface) in
what ever soil amendments you may need (bone meal, rock phosphate,
alfalfa pellets, ect.) cover with black and white newsprint. Cover
newsprint with alfalfa (not pellets) and hose down the covered area.
After a week, broadcast lawn seed on prepared area and water it into the
alfalfa. Keep area damp. Re-seed as needed.
you feel neededcover the bald area
--

- Billy

Old 15-04-2009, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 14, 7:46*am, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:
[...]

First, you need to understand that "topsoil" is a generic term that is
used to describe a very wide range materials. By definition, it is the
top layer of soil (typically down to around 4") that is removed,
generally as the result of construction/development activity. There is
no guarantee that this top layer is any better in quality, substance
or texture than any other soil obtained anywhere else - it could be
devoid of organic matter and therefore soil life, it could be rocky
and filled with roots. It could just as well be fill dirt or
contaminated with all manner of pollutants. Simply because it is
bagged and labeled as "topsoil" is no guarantee that it adds any value
to your garden.

I agree with Victoria that a visit to a soil yard or landscape supply
company may be in order. Or to any retail nurseries in your area that
offer bulk soil products. Look at the material before you buy and
evaluate its components - most suppliers will list what is included.
Avoid anything labeled as simply "topsoil". 3-way planting mixes would
serve your purposes nicely - they are typically some combination of
loam, compost and a textural offering: coarse sand, bark fines or
sometimes sawdust. Or a screened compost. Much of the commercial
compost industry IS highly regulated and you can generally rest
assured that the product you are purchasing has been properly
processed and aged and is free of possible contaminates. Avoid those
small operations that sell from the side of the road or from small
farm lots.......they tend be rather unknown quantities :-)

And you do get what you pay for.......the better the product, the more
it is has been tested and possibly certified, and the more clearly it
is labeled, the greater the cost. Bulk soil will always be far less
expensive than bagged material. Bring your own buckets or burlap bags
or pick-up . Most places will deliver in quantity as well.

Old 15-04-2009, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
gardengal wrote:

[...]

You may as well make your own, MICHELLE. The best top soil in the world
will quickly revert to it's non-dissolvable elements as the organic
matter in it breaks down. After the mulch has been seeded (as I have
previously outlined), feed on occasion with "organic" fish emulsion, or
occasionally broadcast some alfalfa pellets on it and the rest of your
lawn, to feed it.
--

- Billy

Old 15-04-2009, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message

I can buy a premium compost which has soft rock phosphate, lavasand,
greensand, decomposed granite, turkey manure or it's also available as
a non-animal based compost using vegetation only, but innoculated
using compost tea and made in wind rows as Dr. Ingham recommends (she
is a superior resource for information regarding soils and compost).
http://www.soilfoodweb.com/02_resources/index.html

Do some research and you will find I am not just saying this to say
it.

And what does it cost you per pound?

Old 17-04-2009, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 00:56:23 -0500, "Hedda Lettis"
wrote:

Just curious as how big your garden is. A cubic yard doesn't go very far.

When I bought this house all the top horizon of soil was in tact, to
that I added 12 yards of compost after the pool was built. We live on
half acre and I would say since the house is 3,000 sq ft, the pool 50'
x 10' and we have a 400 sq ft deck near the pool, the garden is about,
oh, about every square inch outside a small piece of turf in the front
yard.

Why would someone who claims to be so into gardening move all the way from
NY to the _wide open_ spaces of TX for a measly 1/2 acre, a legitimate
query.

Old 17-04-2009, 04:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Just curious as how big your garden is. A cubic yard doesn't go very
far.

When I bought this house all the top horizon of soil was in tact, to
that I added 12 yards of compost after the pool was built. We live on
half acre and I would say since the house is 3,000 sq ft, the pool 50'
x 10' and we have a 400 sq ft deck near the pool, the garden is about,
oh, about every square inch outside a small piece of turf in the front
yard.

Why would someone who claims to be so into gardening move all the way from
NY to the _wide open_ spaces of TX for a measly 1/2 acre, a legitimate
query.

It's probably all they could afford.

Old 17-04-2009, 12:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Hedda Lettis" wrote in message

wrote:

Just curious as how big your garden is. A cubic yard doesn't go very
far.

When I bought this house all the top horizon of soil was in tact, to
that I added 12 yards of compost after the pool was built. We live on
half acre and I would say since the house is 3,000 sq ft, the pool 50'
x 10' and we have a 400 sq ft deck near the pool, the garden is about,
oh, about every square inch outside a small piece of turf in the front
yard.

Why would someone who claims to be so into gardening move all the way
from NY to the _wide open_ spaces of TX for a measly 1/2 acre, a
legitimate query.

It's probably all they could afford.

Real estate price has more to do with factors other than land size... there
could well be a million dollar house set on a 1/2 acre lot of soil so ****
poor for growing plants that top soil needs to be purchased... my question
has to do with gardening, not the dwelling.

Old 17-04-2009, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 00:08:58 GMT, "brooklyn1"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Just curious as how big your garden is. A cubic yard doesn't go very
far.

When I bought this house all the top horizon of soil was in tact, to
that I added 12 yards of compost after the pool was built. We live on
half acre and I would say since the house is 3,000 sq ft, the pool 50'
x 10' and we have a 400 sq ft deck near the pool, the garden is about,
oh, about every square inch outside a small piece of turf in the front
yard.

Why would someone who claims to be so into gardening move all the way from
NY to the _wide open_ spaces of TX for a measly 1/2 acre, a legitimate
query.

My husband works for Dell Inc. This house was the ONLY house
available to move in to. I sold our house up in Dallas in three days,
leaving me very little time. I wanted five acres, but the only houses
available were built in the 80s and would need major updating and I
wanted a new house. I am very content on half acre living next door
to a judge, across from the Sherrif, three house away from a cop, next
door to a soldier, etc. I don't need more room. I'm a gardener, not
a farmer. You don't think a half acre is ample for ornamental
gardening? How much of your property is cultivated?

I have sixteen acres here, about eight acres parked out... another three
acres if I count my pond area and wildflower meadow, the rest is pretty much
wooded although I do tend to a lot of those areas too, especially keeping
wild grape and other vines from smothering small trees/shrubs. I had a half
acre on Long Island, I never liked my plants all right near to and up
against each other, and having to limit what I could grow due to lack of
space... here instead I'm limited by what critters eat, but I like the
wildlife too and there is always fencing. Down the road I have another
property of 91 acres, about ten acres wooded, the rest is in hay... the
haying pays all my taxes plus a small profit. Were I younger I might've
considered building a house and living on that property, but I'm happy here
and have no plans to more.

Old 17-04-2009, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

I've heard is is better to have a small garden that is a joy to play in
instead of one too big. Sure gardening is work but it also play. The
larger makes it difficult to see the difference. This for newbies.

Hope the health issue comes around and you can play more. Playing
with wisdom affords greater returns of joy which may afford more play
time. Just a possible image there are many.

Bill a proponent that laughter is the best medicine

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

Old 17-04-2009, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/cg4as7

Old 17-04-2009, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 15:04:10 -0400, Bill
wrote:

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

I've heard is is better to have a small garden that is a joy to play in
instead of one too big. Sure gardening is work but it also play. The
larger makes it difficult to see the difference. This for newbies.

Depends. I had a large garden and plants several rows of corn.
Pumpkins take up a lot of room too. As gardens get larger
gas-powered tools become more important.
Old 17-04-2009, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 15:33:13 GMT, "brooklyn1"
wrote:

[...]

I pulled out our survey to make sure I was giving the right amount of
space and it's a bit over 1/3 acre, not 1/4. It's just big enough to
be a lot of work for me to do. It is a very quiet area and there are
many species of birds to admire. The Indigo bunting was such a charge
to see. When I get finished planting and transplanting this years
stuff I will take a bunch of photos and put them on the blog. Our
garden was on the PBS show called Central Texas Gardener in 2005. It's
also been in magazines locally.

I am not that abled so this is huge for me to manage. Would I love a
hundred acres? Yes. Can I afford it? Certainly. What I can't do is
the work. I am not well.

Whose abled, I'm probably less abled... but I've discovered that larger
tracts of land are easier to tend than smaller properties, as the property
surpasses like five acres it begins to become easier to tend, I'd say at the
ten acre mark is where one surpasses the point of diminishing returns...
tractors remove decades from one's age... I often ride my small tractor from
my vegetable gardening shed the 800 feet to my barn where I house my large
tractor, saves my legs, especially when I may have to make those treks
several times a day. I also like the seasons, aside from all the sensory
stimulus they cut my physically demanding gardening chores fully by half, I
get to hibernate. The first thing my friends who still live on small
surburban lots ask is how do I keep all my miles of borders so neatly edged,
I laugh, I don't, they are as the giant mower leaves them, quite messy in
spots actually... but when viewed from many hundreds of feet away they look
perfectly manicured. I've learned not to bother with precision anymore...
it's the overall appearance that counts... I've come to like macro
landscaping much better than micro. You see, in a development of small
properties everyone is looking at each others property up close and
personal... my nearest neighbor is a thousand feet away... I can garden with
my peepee hanging out and no one can see, and I do, do you think I'm gonna
hike a thousand feet to the terlit, let alone traipse through the house with
muddy boots, when a few feet over is the pond... just gotta be careful Mr
Bullfrog doesn't mistake it for a gnat! LOL