Old 22-04-2009, 03:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default mulch

I have a garden that is next to the house and we need to keep the weeds to a
minimum if we can. I was planning on putting down mulch over black garden
paper.

I've noticed the various kinds of mulch-cedar, pine, eucalyptus, even rubber
mulch (expensive).

what's the best kind of mulch to use for weed control in a flower garden?

located in northern Texas.

Old 23-04-2009, 01:22 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer[_2_] View Post
I have a garden that is next to the house and we need to keep the weeds to a
minimum if we can. I was planning on putting down mulch over black garden
paper.

I've noticed the various kinds of mulch-cedar, pine, eucalyptus, even rubber
mulch (expensive).

what's the best kind of mulch to use for weed control in a flower garden?

located in northern Texas.
i am in tropical australia but mulch is mulch and in my experience pine or eucalypt works a treat and smells good too boot. just put in plenty of nitrogen to counteract the effect of the mulch 'soaking up the goodness' as it breaks down, blood and bone or manure is ideal.
Old 23-04-2009, 01:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 22, 8:22*pm, kris anthem um kris.anthem.um.
wrote:

;840365']I have a garden that is next to the house and we need to keep

--
kris anthem um

Any of the hardwood mulches work for me. Beyond that, it's mostly a
matter of appearance, ie whether you like it red, brown, black, etc.,
what's available locally, and price. I'd also skip the landscape
fabric. With 3 inches of mulch, you don't need it, it's just extra
work and creates problems of it's own.
Old 24-04-2009, 04:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 22, 10:00*am, "trailer" wrote:
I have a garden that is next to the house and we need to keep the weeds to a
minimum if we can. *I was planning on putting down mulch over black garden
paper.

I've noticed the various kinds of mulch-cedar, pine, eucalyptus, even rubber
mulch (expensive).

what's the best kind of mulch to use for weed control in a flower garden?

located in northern Texas.

I use 4 mil black plastic sheet on the tomato patch. Use a knife to
open a flap for each plant. I use PVC pipes and joints to support the
plants. A plumbing torch is good for burning holes in the plastic.

In the flower gardens we have tried lots of things. Newpapers, 3 or 4
pages and sprayed with water are good. After setting it out, you can
cover it with a "good" mulch for looks.

Any material that cuts off light is will work. You'll need some
fertilizer around each plant.

To compost/mulch or not to compost/mulch Malcolm United Kingdom 15 03-05-2009 09:19 AM
To Mulch or Not to Mulch Ron H Gardening 6 13-08-2006 09:06 PM
Lawn grass mulch Ann Edible Gardening 4 02-03-2003 06:27 PM
Leaf Mulch Kurt Gardening 8 06-02-2003 10:25 AM
[IBC] mulch as soil Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 1 04-02-2003 01:15 AM