Old 30-04-2009, 02:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Newspaper Mulching

I have been told that mulching with newspaper topped with grass clips
is a very easy and effective way to mulch. I got a few questions.

1) how many sheets of newspaper?
2) how much grass clippings, (how thick)?
3) can paper grocery bags be used in place of newspaper?
Old 30-04-2009, 03:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 30, 9:59*am, Old Bob wrote:
I have been told that mulching with newspaper topped with grass clips
is a very easy and effective way to mulch. *I got a few questions.

1) *how many sheets of newspaper?
2) how much grass clippings, (how thick)?
3) can paper grocery bags be used in place of newspaper?

Why don't you ask whomever told you it was very easy and effective?
Doesn't sound like either of those to me, plus it's gonna look like
hell.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Old Bob said:

I have been told that mulching with newspaper topped with grass

clips
is a very easy and effective way to mulch. I got a few questions.

1) how many sheets of newspaper?
2) how much grass clippings, (how thick)?
3) can paper grocery bags be used in place of newspaper?

It's an effective short-term (one season at most) method for
vegetable gardens. It's not really appropriate for 'show' areas
of the garden.

I use 3 sheets of newspaper topped with a couple inches of
shredded leaves or shredded straw or dried lawn clippings.
I spread lawn clippings out on the cement driveway and then
sweep them up. (My neighbor uses fresh lawn clippings over
newsprint AND IT REEKS. Dried clippings will not stink.)

Yes, brown paper bags can be used instead of newprint.

You can also use one layer of plain corrugated cardboard.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 01-05-2009, 06:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Fri, 01 May 2009 08:23:19 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

Old Bob said:

I have been told that mulching with newspaper topped with grass

clips
is a very easy and effective way to mulch. I got a few questions.

1) how many sheets of newspaper?
2) how much grass clippings, (how thick)?
3) can paper grocery bags be used in place of newspaper?

It's an effective short-term (one season at most) method for
vegetable gardens. It's not really appropriate for 'show' areas
of the garden.

I use 3 sheets of newspaper topped with a couple inches of
shredded leaves or shredded straw or dried lawn clippings.
I spread lawn clippings out on the cement driveway and then
sweep them up. (My neighbor uses fresh lawn clippings over
newsprint AND IT REEKS. Dried clippings will not stink.)

Yes, brown paper bags can be used instead of newprint.

You can also use one layer of plain corrugated cardboard.

Thanks for the info, I am expanding my vegetable garden and the new
part I feel will need the mulching the most.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

Old Bob said:

[...]

For my raised garden, I used newspaper laid over the grass and then
put the garden soil on top of that. The paper kills the grass and
then decomposes. I've also used newspaper under pine needles for
fill in around flowers. Keeps the weeds down.

I used three layers of newspaper sections. That's about the same
width as carboard. I saw this technique on Victory Garden and
it has worked out for me.

Otoe

fiber vs newspaper Romy Beeck Gardening 4 28-07-2004 05:03 PM
fiber vs Newspaper Romy Beeck Gardening 11 28-07-2004 10:02 AM
recycling news - newspaper pots Salty Thumb Gardening 5 23-02-2004 02:34 AM
Weed mat vs Newspaper Gen Australia 10 21-07-2003 04:33 PM
Newspaper seed tubes? Charlie United Kingdom 14 29-03-2003 07:56 AM