Old 07-07-2009, 01:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Grass keeps clogging chute on Snapper 21" pusher

Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 6, 8:56*pm, muzician21 wrote:
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

are you in new england... it's been raining for so long here everyone
is having similar problems
Old 07-07-2009, 02:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

muzician21 wrote:
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

Hi,
Maybe gras is too wet? Is it clean under the deck? No build up of grass
particles? Once under the deck is cleaned you can spray silicon grease
to keep it clean.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

"muzician21" wrote in message
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

Possibly grass is damp, longer, or denser than before?

Don Young

Old 07-07-2009, 02:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

muzician21 wrote:
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

Mother Nature is reminding you that mulching is better:-))

Old 07-07-2009, 02:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden
EXT EXT is offline

Don Young wrote:
[...]

Spring grass is juicy and sticks to the duct blocking it. Wet grass is
similar as well as damp grass. If the grass is too long and damp to pick up,
I have found that doing a quick mow without picking it up is best. If the
sun is shining, even an hour later, remow it and it will be dry enough to
pick up easily without any clogging.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

Wet grass, or dull blade mashing the grass wet.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

"muzician21" wrote in message
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

Mulching did such a good job your grass is not thicker than before so there
is more to pass through the chute. Go back to mulching for a better lawn.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

"muzician21" wrote in message
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

See if your oompa is tangled.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

muzician21 wrote:

I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in
short order.

Check to see if the bottom of the bag (usually formed by a stiff sheet
of flat plastic) is angled up or down (in terms of direction away from
the chute). The bottom should be at least flat (parallel with the
ground) or even angled down at the far end of the bag. This allows the
grass to fly out the chute and go as far as possible into the bag. Bend
the wire bag support frame if necessary.

Is your lawn flat, or does it slope? Mowing in the downhill direction
will also tend to clog the chute vs mowing uphill.

Also check the underside of the deck and remove any grass buildup that
usually cakes up there.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:33 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 17:56:30 -0700 (PDT), muzician21
wrote:

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

I just got a new used electric lawnmower, with three options**

I tried shooting the grass out but it was long and I knew it would
turn yellow lying on the other grass. I put the mulcher on and then
could see no cut-off grass where I mowed. So I redid the first area
and the cut grass disappeared.

**except I don't own the bag and earlier, when I borrowed my
neighbor's once, it filled up every ten minutes. It was going to
double the time it took me to mow the lawn. But I'm glad I tried it
once. For one thing, now I know why neighbor is constantly mowing,
then stopping, then mowing.... I thought he was doing it just to drive
me crazy, because I could never tell when he was done so I could go
back to the quiet end of the house.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

muzician21 wrote:
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

Wild guess: Has the speed of the mower changed? Maybe the blade is
turning slower due to a change in the engine---say a changed idle speed,
plugged air cleaner, plugged carb jet?
Old 07-07-2009, 05:32 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

In ,
muzician21 spewed forth:
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

It could be the blade, it may be a mulching blade which would not have the
same lift as a regular blade.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 7, 12:03*am, Matt wrote:

Wild guess: *Has the speed of the mower changed? *Maybe the blade is
turning slower due to a change in the engine---say a changed idle speed,
plugged air cleaner, plugged carb jet?

Runs great, like it always has. I don't have a tach on it but I don't
detect any difference. Certainly I shouldn't have to run it wide open
for the bag to catch the grass.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 7, 12:32*am, "ChairMan" wrote:

It could be the blade, it may be a mulching blade which would not have the
same lift as a regular blade.

It is a mulching blade but that's what's been on it since the 70's.