Old 18-08-2009, 08:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Need help about my rider mower

I have a 10-year old rider mower with a 18HP Briggs engine. The way
it behaves mystifies me, and I wonder if anyone can suggest what is
going on.

First of all. the original battery refused to start the mower (even
after charging) after a few years, and I replaced it with a match even
though it cost some $60! Then that battery did the same thing after
another two years and so I replaced it with a cheaper battery from
Lowes. It worked fine after I hack sawed the battery compartment to
accommodate the larger battery. After two years it wouldn't hold a
charge, so I bought still another (of the Lowes type), and it is in
there now.

Having said that, I should add that all along, with all the batteries,
when I would leave the mower unused between weekly mowing's, I would
consistently find that the mower would not turn over. Since the
voltage reading on the batteries read low, I assumed something was
discharging the batteries. So I installed a switch on the battery
cable to enable me to disconnect the battery completely whenever I am
not using the mower.

That didn't work. Even though the battery voltage was holding at 12+
volts. the engine would not turn over. I found that if I connected my
10A charger just for a few minutes, the engine would turn over and
start. It's almost as if the battery needed a 'boost'. To me the
engine is acting as if it is semi-locked, and requires a strong
battery source to overcome its initial inertia. The first turn-over
always sounds like a real struggle, but if it makes it then the
subsequent engine revolutions seem easier for the engine. Then I
could then cut my lawn. Even if I turned the engine off as I was
mowing, I could re-start the mower.

This is getting exasperating! Yesterday, I charged the battery with
my 10A charger until the battery showed 12.3V. Then I left it
overnight with my trickle charger connected. This AM the battery read
12.4V. I cut the lawn (2 hours) and then checked the battery. It
read `14.1V! This tells me that the mower alternator (?) is working.
I left the mower off for two hours (with the battery cutoff switch
OFF), and the battery voltage was 13.3V!

Right now, it is some 4 hours later - the battery reads 12.3V and the
mower starts, but with its usual reluctance.

I have rambled here, and for that I am sorry. I hope I have described
things correctly. I am at my wits end as to what to do. I feel that
I could connect several batteries to get a strong start, and I'll
betcha that would do it. But golly. I can't do that.

Help

Duke

Old 18-08-2009, 09:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

This is getting exasperating! Yesterday, I charged the battery with
my 10A charger until the battery showed 12.3V. Then I left it
overnight with my trickle charger connected. This AM the battery read
12.4V. I cut the lawn (2 hours) and then checked the battery. It
read `14.1V! This tells me that the mower alternator (?) is working.
I left the mower off for two hours (with the battery cutoff switch
OFF), and the battery voltage was 13.3V!

The above voltage change is normal

Right now, it is some 4 hours later - the battery reads 12.3V and the
mower starts, but with its usual reluctance.

It sounds to me like the engine turns over tougher than it should, or
the starter is inefficient for some reason.
Old 21-08-2009, 10:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:40:07 -0700, Oren wrote:

I read the thread and I also thought about the starter. Called a
"dragging starter"?. It may need new bushings or other work. I've bad
problems with car starters that were shorting out.

Perhaps pull the starter and jumper to the battery and see if she
spins nicety-nice.

YMMV

Thanks for reply. I'll do these things when I can do it between
mowings and after I work more on my A/C.

Duke
Old 21-08-2009, 05:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:40:07 -0700, Oren wrote:

I read the thread and I also thought about the starter. Called a
"dragging starter"?. It may need new bushings or other work. I've bad
problems with car starters that were shorting out.

Perhaps pull the starter and jumper to the battery and see if she
spins nicety-nice.

YMMV

Thanks for reply. I'll do these things when I can do it between
mowings and after I work more on my A/C.

Duke

I never had a battery started lawnmower or other outdoor machine. My
snowblower has a 115VAC starter motor which I most never use, as it starts
easily with the pull cord. Anyway, on machines that use a battery starter,
is there no type of alternator/generator that keeps the battery up to full
charge while it is running? Do you have to use a plug in charger "every so
often" to charge up the battery? If there is an alternator on the machine
built into the engine, maybe it is not working. Nobody has mentioned this
before here, so I am giving you my 2 cents on this. Batteries will fail
sooner than their life expectancy if discharged and not recharged promptly,
I believe.

RP

Old 21-08-2009, 09:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Real ****er" wrote in message

I never had a battery started lawnmower or other outdoor machine. My
snowblower has a 115VAC starter motor which I most never use, as it starts
easily with the pull cord. Anyway, on machines that use a battery starter,
is there no type of alternator/generator that keeps the battery up to full
charge while it is running? Do you have to use a plug in charger "every so
often" to charge up the battery? If there is an alternator on the machine
built into the engine, maybe it is not working. Nobody has mentioned this
before here, so I am giving you my 2 cents on this. Batteries will fail
sooner than their life expectancy if discharged and not recharged
promptly, I believe.

RP

Of the several riding mowers I have had and several more I have seen, they
have a charging system.
If the battery is really ran down, that is not usually enough to recharge
the battery, but it is enough to keep them charged during normal starting
and mowing. The one I bought 4 years ago has never needed an external
charge.

I bought a portable generator (5000 watts) that has an electric start, but
no charging system. The battery seems to be of the nicad type instead of
the more common lead type. It comes with a wall cube that you plug in to
charge it.
Probably would take overnight to recharge the battery if it was very ran
down. I have had it about 6 months and have not tried to start it. I had
another generator and thought it had gone bad so I got the new one. Then I
fixed the old one. Bad gas had stopped up a small hole in the carberator.
The old one starts up just like always, usuall 2 pulls, 3 at the most.

Old 24-08-2009, 05:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 16:02:13 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Real ****er" wrote in message

I never had a battery started lawnmower or other outdoor machine. My
snowblower has a 115VAC starter motor which I most never use, as it starts
easily with the pull cord. Anyway, on machines that use a battery starter,
is there no type of alternator/generator that keeps the battery up to full
charge while it is running? Do you have to use a plug in charger "every so
often" to charge up the battery? If there is an alternator on the machine
built into the engine, maybe it is not working. Nobody has mentioned this
before here, so I am giving you my 2 cents on this.

I am OP. I said originally - I cut the lawn (2 hours) and then

Old 25-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Hi. This may be of no help at all, but you never know. I had a similar problem with a larger machine. The battery always seemed to be dying or dead. Eventually I discovered that the earth strap was in a bad state where it fixed to the chassis. It was hard to access but I spent a while cleaning back to metal; there was no need to change the earth lead. The occasional spray of WD40 and the problem has gone away .

Cordialement
Old 25-08-2009, 04:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:31:16 -0400, wrote:

Right now, it is some 4 hours later - the battery reads 12.3V and the
mower starts, but with its usual reluctance.

It sounds to me like the engine turns over tougher than it should, or
the starter is inefficient for some reason.

Hmmm I wonder if a new starter would improve things. No idea what
that'll cost.

Thanks for suggestion.

Duke

I have a riding mower (Wards Signature 2000) that may have the same engine.
It always pauses when I first try to start it then gets going and then turns
the engine OK. Mine has a fairly new battery. I always recharge my
batteries (on everything) occasionally, some more frequently than others. I
use a 40 amp Smart Charger and periodically run the Desulfate cycle and
Equalize cycle. On my mower I had a situation where it would not start
(overheated or something) and the battery was ran down after only about six
attempts at starting it. My conclusion is that the battery is too small. I
have cleaned/checked/replaced all of the connections on mine (got mine used,
for free). I have not yet pulled the heads and decarbonized the
pistons/heads or taken apart the starter and checked the brushes and slip
rings but it probably should be done. My spark plugs do not look carbonized
so I suspect there is not very much carbon build-up plus unleaded gasoline
supposedly will not cause as much carbon problems as old leaded gas used to.
Your voltages sounds good and it sounds like it's charging when it's
running. Do you have an ammeter on your dash? Mine is not real great but
at least it indicates that it's charging and not discharging.

I have another riding mower with a Tecumseh 12.5 HP engine and I installed a
car battery instead of the little Lawn and Garden battery but I had the room
to do it. Now I can sit there with the headlights on with the engine off
and have no worries. Plus it adds some weight to the rear tires and helps
increase traction.

Old 25-08-2009, 06:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 11:27:05 +0100, French-laurie
wrote:

Hi. This may be of no help at all, but you never know. I had a similar
problem with a larger machine. The battery always seemed to be dying or
dead. Eventually I discovered that the earth strap was in a bad state
where it fixed to the chassis. It was hard to access but I spent a
while cleaning back to metal; there was no need to change the earth
lead. The occasional spray of WD40 and the problem has gone away .
Duke Cordialement

Well, today is another day and the grass needed mowed. I haven't had
the time to do anything to the mower except leave it stored in the
shed with the trickle charger connected and working. The battery read
12.4V but the motor would not turn over. I did what I sometimes do
and charged the battery for a mere 3 seconds at 8 amps, and then tried
to start the mower. As usual, the motor did not want to turn over
but did and the mower then started. I mowed the grass.

I really AM going to have to do something. As I recall, when I last
bought a battery, the problem went away for a while. So I could do
that again. I also could and will replace the starter, but I should
wait until the grass doesn't need cut so frequently. I don't have the
whole of any day right now as I am tending my semi-invalid wife as she
recovers from surgery and prepares for a second surgery. I'm not
complaining - I just have to budget my time. Thanks for all helps.

Life can be difficult sometimes.

Duke
Old 04-09-2009, 10:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:53:42 -0400, wrote:

Good news.

I bought the bullet and bought and installed a new starter for the
cantankerous mower. So far the mower is starting like a new mower.
Problem solved, I hope.

Thanks for everyone's interest.

Duke
Old 04-09-2009, 07:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

Good news.

I bought the bullet and bought and installed a new starter for the
cantankerous mower. So far the mower is starting like a new mower.
Problem solved, I hope.

Thanks for everyone's interest.

Duke

Thanks for the update!