Old 20-11-2009, 02:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Repair on John Deere LA125

How can I replace the spur gear on the bottom of the steering shaft of
my lawn tractor. I've got the shaft apart except for the two bushings
that carry the shaft through the horizontal plate that supports the
steering mechanism. To get the shaft out requires getting the
bushings out, but how? Do I squeeze them? Is there a groove in the
shaft such that I must expand the bushings? John Deere told me to
talk to the local dealer but he wants to sell me an $80 transport,
service at $100/hour and the expensive parts. I can't afford any more
than the parts! Please advise.
Old 20-11-2009, 04:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
EXT EXT is offline

Stubby wrote:
How can I replace the spur gear on the bottom of the steering shaft of
my lawn tractor. I've got the shaft apart except for the two bushings
that carry the shaft through the horizontal plate that supports the
steering mechanism. To get the shaft out requires getting the
bushings out, but how? Do I squeeze them? Is there a groove in the
shaft such that I must expand the bushings? John Deere told me to
talk to the local dealer but he wants to sell me an $80 transport,
service at $100/hour and the expensive parts. I can't afford any more
than the parts! Please advise.

When I need help with any repairs to my JD, I talk to the dealer parts
department. They are great and can supply diagrams and such from their
catalogues.

Old 21-11-2009, 03:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Nov 20, 11:45*am, "EXT" wrote:
Stubby wrote:
How can I replace the spur gear on the bottom of the steering shaft of
my lawn tractor. *I've got the shaft apart except for the two bushings
that carry the shaft through the horizontal plate that supports the
steering mechanism. * To get the shaft out requires getting the
bushings out, but how? *Do I squeeze them? *Is there a groove in the
shaft such that I must expand the bushings? *John Deere told me to
talk to the local dealer but he wants to sell me an $80 transport,
service at $100/hour and the expensive parts. *I can't afford any more
than the parts! *Please advise.

When I need help with any repairs to my JD, I talk to the dealer parts
department. They are great and can supply diagrams and such from their
catalogues.

But the Service guy clearly didn't know how to remove the gear/
bushings. The guys at the parts counter said the would sell me parts
but Service guy is the one to tell me how.
Old 21-11-2009, 08:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rb rb is offline

Go here and post for good advice:

www.weekendfreedommachines.com

Old 22-11-2009, 05:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Nov 21, 3:47*pm, "rb" wrote:
Go here and post for good advice:

www.weekendfreedommachines.com

That site is a good source of parts and manuals (at a price).

Old 23-11-2009, 02:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rb rb is offline

I've used it for 10 years, and put a lot of posts on it. No pricing of any
kind I know of. It's been a completely free way of having JD knowledge.

John Deere LX 176 kent Lawns 8 11-01-2010 10:52 AM
Easy to see, Expat owns John Smith and John Smith is ExpatsPuppet on a String! hahahaha ..... Dance Johnny boy.. dance you fool!John Smith the puppet on a string John Smith[_5_] Ponds 0 07-09-2008 04:42 PM
John Deere F510 Riding Mower Keeps Blowing Fuses! C R R Lawns 0 29-03-2003 02:20 PM
John Deere 300 trans dipstick help Chris Szilagyi Gardening 0 28-01-2003 08:55 PM
John Deere Jeff Springer Lawns 4 06-12-2002 08:06 AM