Old 25-01-2010, 10:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Renovating lawn without chemicals

CTTom wrote:
Hi --
I'm a horticulturist in the United States, and I'm interested in
converting my lawn to a type of turf that requires less mowing (a
mixture of fine and hard fescues). The usual method to accomplish
that on this side of the Atlantic is to first kill the existing turf
with an application of glyphosate, wait a couple of weeks, and then
use a slit seeder to plant the new grass seed right through the dead
turf. Howevver, I would like to avoid the use of glyphosate, if
possible. I'm wondering if I could simply use a stone burier on the
existing turf and then plant right away. Would the buried grass
re-emerge to compete with the fescues? Stone buriers are a new kind
of technology in the United States and I cannot find anyone who has
used them for this purpose. I understand, though, that they have
been in use in Britain for some time. Has anyone connected with this
forum used a stone burier for lawn renovation?

Using a sod cutter, and composting the sod will probably result in a better
result, as most seeds will go away with the sod.

Old 27-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Registered User

use a turf cutter to remove old turf if the ground is good enough then if your left with a load of stones use a stone burier or if not just use a stone raker / standard landscape rake (size permitting) then you could use a seeder roller machine to get a good finish .
Old 29-01-2010, 12:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
4x4rob

Which is one hell of a lot of work and cost compared to applying
glyphosate and using a slit seeder. Glyphosate is routinely used on
food crops, so I don't see the big deal in using it for a one time
lawn renovation.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Registered User

to make it abit cheaper then we sometimes just kill the old grass/weeds with spray (gallup 360) wait till it dies off then rotorvate it , rake aera out and re seed if you want a good job on your lawn you really cant try to do it to cheaply

Old 12-02-2010, 08:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 7, 3:05*pm, 4x4rob wrote:
to make it abit cheaper then we sometimes just kill the old grass/weeds
with spray (gallup 360) wait till it dies off then rotorvate it , rake
aera out

And how much back braking work is it to rake out clumps of dead turf
after it's all rototilled into one big mess? Geez, why does everyone
want to do it the hard way?

and re seed if you want a good job on your lawn you really cant
try to do it to cheaply

--
4x4rob

I've re-seeded dozens of lawns by using glyphosate (Roundup), waiting
about 2 weeks until it's all dead, then mowing short, raking up the
debris, then using a slit seeder to apply the seed. Worked every
time, no fuss, no muss.

I can see tilling the whole thing up IF the soil is poor and you want
to add amendments. But for a lawn where the existing topsoil is OK,
the above procedure is effective, easy, and cheap.
Old 14-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Registered User

it might be hard work but its the proper way to do it and when its back to soil you can rake it out level as well so you don't have dips and mounds in the lawn
Old 17-02-2010, 10:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Bob F said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Bob F said:

wrote:
On Jan 27, 9:05 am, 4x4rob
wrote:
use a turf cutter to remove old turf if the ground is good enough
then if your left with a load of stones use a stone burier or if
not just use a stone raker / standard landscape rake (size
permitting) then you could use a seeder roller machine to get a
good finish .

--
4x4rob

Which is one hell of a lot of work and cost compared to applying
glyphosate and using a slit seeder. Glyphosate is routinely used on
food crops, so I don't see the big deal in using it for a one time
lawn renovation.

I sure as hell don't use it on my food crops.

Ever buy fresh corn at the grocery store?

Rarely. But it would be idiocy to use glyphosate on my home garden if I care,
wouldn't it?

Are you, yourself, made of plant material? It's a serious question man, not a
smart-assed answer. It's all got to do with how glyphosate works. It won't hurt
you, unless you're actually a plant. =)

As long as the plants you're growing are "glyphosate-ready" (and there's a
shit-load of them available), and you spray on a calm day and/or protect your
other crops from overspray, it'd be just fine to use it in your home garden.
Pulling weeds from a dense block of corn sucks. It makes it a helluva lot
easier.
--

Eggs

A hen is an egg's way of making another egg.

Old 17-03-2010, 08:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Bob F said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Bob F said:

wrote:
On Jan 27, 9:05 am, 4x4rob
wrote:
[...]

Since you believe all the claims of the manufacturer, go ahead and drink it up.
I'll pass.

Pulling weeds takes little time in a properly maintained garden.