Old 17-03-2010, 10:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default How do I get rid of these pests

Just bought this house last fall and have tons of things to do in the yard.
First I'm not sure what this weed is but it's popping up in all the beds.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3096.jpg

And this ivy is a mess.
Any idea how I'll be able to get rid of it?

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3099.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3098.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3097.jpg
Old 18-03-2010, 01:05 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

p-nut wrote the following:
Just bought this house last fall and have tons of things to do in the yard.
First I'm not sure what this weed is but it's popping up in all the beds.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3096.jpg

And this ivy is a mess.
Any idea how I'll be able to get rid of it?

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3099.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3098.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3097.jpg

Glechoma hederacea, or Creeping Charlie, or Ground Ivy

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 18-03-2010, 01:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

willshak wrote the following:
p-nut wrote the following:
Just bought this house last fall and have tons of things to do in the
yard.
First I'm not sure what this weed is but it's popping up in all the
beds.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3096.jpg

And this ivy is a mess.
Any idea how I'll be able to get rid of it?

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3099.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3098.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3097.jpg

Glechoma hederacea, or Creeping Charlie, or Ground Ivy

Sorry, I only looked at the first pic.
I don't know the name of the other.
If there are not too many, just dig them out

Old 18-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nut[_3_] View Post
Just bought this house last fall and have tons of things to do in the yard.
First I'm not sure what this weed is but it's popping up in all the beds.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3096.jpg

And this ivy is a mess.
Any idea how I'll be able to get rid of it?

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3099.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3098.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3097.jpg

The 3 photos are Vinca not ivy, often used as a ground cover plant, it has a habit of speading vigorously. To get rid of it you could either cut back all the top growth and find out exactly where its roots are, then dig each plant up invidually, probably the most reliable method, or spray it with a systemic weedkiller eg glyphosate.
Graham
Old 18-03-2010, 11:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

p-nut said:

Just bought this house last fall and have tons of things to do in the yard.
First I'm not sure what this weed is but it's popping up in all the beds.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3096.jpg

Henbit, a winter annual. Pulls out pretty easily. One of the most common
weeds in my garden in the spring. (Nice addition to the compost pile.)
Has bright, pretty flowers much loved by bees. One plant can generate
an enormous amount of seeds, though, which remain viable for a long, long
time.

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...eed/henbit.htm

And this ivy is a mess.
Any idea how I'll be able to get rid of it?

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3099.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3098.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3097.jpg

The vine is Vinca minor. It's a fairly popular flowering groundcover for
semi-shady areas. You might consider trying to keep some of it, because
properly cared for it can look fairly nice, and does provide flowers. It is
a bit of a thug, though, running rampant if not managed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinca_minor

Pull up whatever you can and spot-treat with the herbicide glyphosate (if
you are OK with that). Use appropriate caution, and avoid getting this
herbicie on anything other than your target plant.

A gardener writes about conquering overgrown Vinca:
http://www.paghat.com/vinca.html

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 18-03-2010, 01:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mar 18, 8:56*am, Workaholic wrote:
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:46:07 GMT,

"p-nut" wrote:

(snip)

And this ivy is a mess.
Any idea how I'll be able to get rid of it?
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3099.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3098.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3097.jpg

Periwinkle, And It's A BITCH To Get Rid Of!

Spray it with Round-Up.
Just when you think you've got it all, you'll see it pop up somewhere!
Keep at it. Do Not expect it all to be gone in ONE season.
It's a creeper and will continue to spread if you let up.

http://www.USENETHOST.com100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, * * * * 5$/month *Only!

I agree that Roundup or glyphosate is the way to go. I would NOT
pull them out. You have a stone bed there and anytime you pull
anything out, it brings up soil with it that then is in the stones and
promotes more weeds.
Old 18-03-2010, 01:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

p-nut blurted out in alt.home.lawn.garden:

Just bought this house last fall and have tons of things to do in the yard.
First I'm not sure what this weed is but it's popping up in all the beds.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3096.jpg

And this ivy is a mess.
Any idea how I'll be able to get rid of it?

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3099.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3098.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_3097.jpg

Thanks for the responses. Least I know what I'm tackling now.
I plan to rip up all the ivy this weekend and hit it with some roundup.
I have a stretch of about 75ft is the problem.