Old 01-05-2010, 07:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default 36 Volt battery lawn mowers, anyone opinions or experiences?

I'm looking at a Toro "E-cycler" 36 volt battery mower for my lawn which is
about 60 x 120 feet. I'm in southern Ontario so would use from mid April to
late October once a week. lawn is 40 years+ and it a bit rough but a
gentle grade.

it's an all steel deck with a lock-out for children, integrated battery and
20" mulching deck. It's $439 CDN, compared to $399 for the black and
decker. and 2 year full warranty too.

Anyone own a 36 v lawn mower? anyone have any opinions on this toro or
battery lawn mowers in general? Will this thing die in 2 or 3 years or have
to get battery replacement once the warranty is up? Are these things a
waste of money?

Old 07-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Registered User

I'm not a fan of Battery Mowers.... There are however some newer one on the market which hold together better now but the batteries are rediculous money still.

You will find on nearly all battery opperated mowers that despite the long warranty periods displayed on the box or in the press, it will only have a 12 months warranty on the battery. Due to the nature of the product, it is only used for several of those 12 months and the battery will have discharged by the start of the next season and will probably need replacing. You also need to think about how long the battery will run for once fully charged and will it get you around your garden in time before it runs out???

Lithium ION batteries are the new breed which seem to work quite well on initial testing but are new to the market and "longevity" is still an unknown quantity at the moment.

Get a petrol mower and be safe knowing you'll have years of service from it with a little TLC along the way

Lawnmower World - The home of Quality garden machinery