Old 04-07-2010, 03:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Help Identify What Was On My Butterfly Bush???

I am an avid gardener, and outdoor person. I live in SE Michigan. I
observed something flying, and feeding on my new butterfly bush.
Something, that I have never seen, before. At first, I thought that
it was a very large bumblebee. Looking closer, I realized that it was
moving its wings, like a hummingbird. It was about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2
inches long. What, I hope, will identify it, is the fact that it had 2
very bight yellow stripes, each about, 1/8th inch thick, running
across its lower body. Search the net, can't locate anything, like
it. I thought that I knew everything that crawled, flew, and
slithered, guess not!! Thanks, for any help.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

audacityx said:

I am an avid gardener, and outdoor person. I live in SE Michigan.

observed something flying, and feeding on my new butterfly bush.
Something, that I have never seen, before. At first, I thought that
it was a very large bumblebee. Looking closer, I realized that it was
moving its wings, like a hummingbird. It was about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2
inches long. What, I hope, will identify it, is the fact that it had 2
very bight yellow stripes, each about, 1/8th inch thick, running
across its lower body. Search the net, can't locate anything, like
it. I thought that I knew everything that crawled, flew, and
slithered, guess not!! Thanks, for any help.

I think it must have been one of the Sphinx or clearwing moths.

Maybe Nessus sphinx
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/images?l=3456

Scroll down to search all the Michigan Sphingidae he
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/map?ds=23&_dcs=1

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Cantigny C Not-a-butterfly on the butterfly weed.JPG (1/1) Just Plane Noise Garden Photos 0 27-07-2009 06:35 PM
Butterfly bush (Buddleia) how prune? - My Dilemma Ian Gardening 10 23-05-2003 02:32 AM
Question about Butterfly Bush Dan Gardening 0 02-05-2003 04:32 AM
Butterfly Bush AnnaTle Gardening 5 26-04-2003 02:08 AM
Cut Back Healthy Butterfly Bush? Fleemo Gardening 4 05-04-2003 06:20 PM