Old 01-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Al\(NC\)

Default Riding mower recommendations

for 1/2 to 3/4 acre of grass with some slope. Or does anyone have experience
with a self propelled mower? I wouldn't mind spending around $2K but I want
a good one.

Old 02-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Scott Downey

My parents have a craftsman with the hydrostatic drive.
Very easy to use. Just move the lever forward, the farther forward it goes
the faster it goes. Pull it backwards from neutral and it backs up. No
clutches needed. Where they live in Christiansburg, Va the ground is quite
hilly and it does a fine job. Engine is 2 cylinders and I think it's 18 hp
Briggs. I have used it quite a bit and it starts up and runs easy.. You
cannot mow the steeper inclines as it would likely roll over. We cut 3 acres
every week with it. When my brother lived there, he would often cut twice a
week.

Old 02-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Andy & Lucinda

If your space is completely open without a lot of trees, obstacles, or
structures, just about any lawn tractor in your price range will do.
But at your size of lawn, obstacles will increase your mowing time until
it takes longer to ride than it does to walk. Plus, you'll likely end
up getting a walk-behind or a cheapie pusher for trimming anyway.

Depends on how often you're wanting to mow, too. Walking can be a real
drag if it's early in the season and you're on a 4-day mowing cycle.
Not so bad later in the summer when the grass starts to go dormant.

If you're mowing not so often, a lawn tractor will have more power, but
a 2-cycle walk-behind can also get really nasty on the tall stuff. I
also find the 2-cycle mowers to be quieter that the 4 cycles - maybe
it's the pitch, but that's what my ears tell me. I am specifically
talking Lawn-Boy there.

The nicer walk-behinds don't have "fixed" speeds, they have a
variable-speed system that adjusts to your walking pace. Very nice;
doesn't drag you along (especially up and down slopes).

My two cents - beg or borrow a rider from a pal and give it a crack,
then do the same with a walk-behind. If nothing else, it will at least
narrow THAT choice down for you.

And don't just jump to the conclusion that bigger is better - no use
buying a mower with a 54" deck when your shed doors are only 48" wide!
Seriously - there are some damn nice walk-behinds out there. For more
heavy-duty, I like the bigger Cub walk-behinds with the castors. Toros
are okay for more moderate use. The pricer Lawn-Boys with the 2-cycle
and aluminum deck are a best buy.

Good luck,
Andy

ps - don't rule out a used pusher for trimming. If you can find an old
4-bladed Snapper, it's the nastiest mower ever built.
--
***remove "spambomb" from address to reply...***