Old 15-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Chip G.

Default Guinea Fowl

I'm considering getting guinea fowl for pest control. Does anyone have
any experience with them? Any suggestions?

--
--Chip
remove dots in prefix to fix email address

Old 15-05-2003, 06:08 AM
Valkyrie

"Chip G." wrote in message
I'm considering getting guinea fowl for pest control. Does anyone have
any experience with them? Any suggestions?

You won't have any snakes slithering in.....they love snakes!! YUM!

Val

Old 15-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Dave W

I don't know about pest control, but they make great watchdogs.! They raise
h___ when a stranger comes on your place.
Dave

Old 15-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Chip G.

In article 1052975375.899596@yasure, Valkyrie
wrote:

You won't have any snakes slithering in.....they love snakes!! YUM!

I don't have any trouble with snakes (I've caught and released two
already).

Old 15-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Chip G.

In article , Dave W
wrote:

I don't know about pest control, but they make great watchdogs.! They raise
h___ when a stranger comes on your place.

That can be a down side. I hear they sometimes trouble neighbors with
the racket they produce. What exactly does the alarm sound like?

Old 16-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Natty_Dread

wrote:

You won't have any snakes slithering in.....they love snakes!! YUM!

I don't have any trouble with snakes (I've caught and released two
already).

heh...that would be a problem to me! :-)

Old 17-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Dwayne

They love to eat ticks. You can watch a flock feeding in a field of plants,
and see them cleaning up the tick problem. We lived 3 miles out of town and
the only problem we saw, was that they always managed to be on the highway
when cars were driving by. They belonged to our aunt and uncle, but were
always welcome at our place.

Dwayne

Old 17-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Chas Hurst

I contemplated the use of Guinea fowl for the same cleaning up deer ticks. I
checked around and found that Guineas should be raised up with chickens so
they don't wander too far, as into the street. A friend tried this and lost
his flock of chickens and Guineas to the raccoons in short time. So I built
a barn in the field and made the remainder into lawn. No more deer ticks,
but I did have to borrow 20 grand to build the barn and buy a larger lawn
mower.

Chas Hurst

"Dwayne" wrote in message
They love to eat ticks. You can watch a flock feeding in a field of

plants,
and see them cleaning up the tick problem. We lived 3 miles out of town

and
the only problem we saw, was that they always managed to be on the highway
when cars were driving by. They belonged to our aunt and uncle, but were
always welcome at our place.

Dwayne

Old 17-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Gary Lawrence

Read the new mother earth news. They have a good article on the subject.

Old 18-05-2003, 05:08 AM
Chip G.

In article , Gary
Lawrence wrote:

Read the new mother earth news. They have a good article on the subject.

Do you have a web link? Which issue? What was the name of the article?

Thanks,

New Guinea Joseph A. Zupko Gardening 3 15-03-2004 11:32 PM
New Guinea by seed? Cereus-validus Gardening 1 12-03-2004 10:42 PM
New Guinea Joseph A. Zupko Gardening 0 12-03-2004 07:32 PM
Guinea Fowl Chip G. Gardening 16 20-05-2003 08:32 PM
OT AD. Guinea Pig Hutch & Run Jim W United Kingdom 2 29-04-2003 10:56 AM