Old 19-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Tim Fischer

Default I screwed up half my lawn early last fall

Hi,

I agree with the spreader for fertilizers. I prefer liquid for weed
killers, as I can see what's gone on. I haven't had a lot of luck with
"weed & feed" weed killers/fertilizers-- the dandilions just laugh at it.
With Weed-B-Gone they look withered in a day, and are dead in a few weeks.

Just my 2 cents...

-Tim

P.S. You responded well to our bashing. You have gained my respect.
Seriously grin

Old 19-05-2003, 11:32 PM

"Timothy" wrote:
On Sun, 18 May 2003 02:38:58 +0000, Moparholi wrote:

"Timothy" wrote:
On Sun, 18 May 2003 00:29:37 +0000, Moparholi wrote:

"Timothy" wrote:
Granted, finale
doesn't have the longevity of round-up but if your looking for
longevity you should be looking for a pre-emergent such as 2,4-d in
my opinion.

2,4-D is a post emergent herbicide.

2,4-d is found in post emergent herbicides,

No, 2,4-D -IS- a post emergent herbicide. It is -NOT- a pre emergent
herbicide.

but is also found in
pre-emergents such as casron.

You are funny,the article you link to is written by Janet B Carson.

There is no 'Carson' herbicide. Try reading it first. sheesh

In the Garden
By: Janet B. Carson

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=2,
4-D++pre+emergent+carson&spell=1

Thanks for catching my screw up. Help's to keep me honest and
informed.............

No hard feelings. You will teach me things too.

Thanks for being a sport.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 30-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Chet Hayes

"If it was truly
round-up, even at concentrated levels, it should be completly washed out
of the soil by now. Round-up has a half life of 2 to 4 weeks... so it
would be totally inactive with in 4 to 8 weeks. "

Roundup works by being absorbed by plant leaves, not through the soil.
You can reseed an area as soon as a few days after application.
Realisically, it'll take a few days for the existing plants to die, so
you probably want to reseed about a week later.

The real problem you have is that it is too late to seed. With rising
temps, its difficult to keep the soil moist unless you have sprinklers
and a lot of water. The other serious problem is competition from
weeds. At this point, I would wait until fall.

"Timothy" wrote in message om...
On Sat, 17 May 2003 16:26:02 -0400, wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Timothy. The product in question was delivered
through a pump sprayer. This is very embarrassing as I am a carpet
cleaner owner/operator. My stuff is labeled in the van...So do you think
the same will go as far as what you said before since it wasn't diluted
much-if at all? I am anxious to get seed down since we had a late spring.
Thanks for the low-down on the #2 of your post. It makes total sense.

I firmly believe that the herbicide is no longer active. If it was truly
round-up, even at concentrated levels, it should be completly washed out
of the soil by now. Round-up has a half life of 2 to 4 weeks... so it
would be totally inactive with in 4 to 8 weeks.

What you can do at this point...
You could spray the weed/lawn area with round-up ( I personally prefer
finale as a herbicide due to it's short half life ), wait 2 weeks and
re-seed.

When I can, I try to use chemicals that are less harmful to people and the
enviroment. The product Finale is a herbicide that containts
Glufosinate-Ammonium. It ( in my humble opinion ) is safer to the public
and the enviroment than round-up due to it's short half life and due to
the bacterial break down of the product in the soil. It's less likely to
move through the soil and contaminate the ground water. Granted, finale
doesn't have the longevity of round-up but if your looking for longevity
you should be looking for a pre-emergent such as 2,4-d in my opinion.

I decide on which herbicide to use using a couple different factors.
For light weed infestations or if your looking just to 'knock down'
weeds/grass, then I select horticultral vinegar. If the outside temps are
not high enough for the vinegar ( 70 or above ) I tend to use finale with
an added herbicide sticker. For heavy infestations or brush, I tend to use
a product called crossbow. It is in a nut shell triclopyr,2,4-D and
kerosene. It is completely nasty stuff but sometime nessasary.
Good luck with the lawn.....

We are screwed George.com Gardening 25 21-10-2007 09:56 PM
Spork - half fork half spade [email protected] United Kingdom 6 10-05-2007 12:44 AM
Half Apricot and Half Plum grafted tree -- Growers in Southern California ?? Time2Live Gardening 1 10-01-2005 10:23 PM
Half Apricot and Half Plum grafted tree -- Growers in Southern California ?? Time2Live Edible Gardening 1 10-01-2005 10:23 PM
Half Apricot and Half Plum grafted tree -- Growers in Southern California ?? Time2Live Edible Gardening 0 08-01-2005 09:36 PM