Old 26-05-2003, 03:09 PM
Gregarious Dick

Default tractor wont move

Hi-
I bought a used problem. A 1985 Craftsman 12 hp rider. It has two belts,
one JUST for the drive, and one JUST for the deck each on separate
pulleys on the motor shaft. I replaced both belts, and made CERTAIN they
were the correct sizes for that mower (I bought the parts book for that
model). When I bought it, the return spring for the brake/clutch was
missing, so I went and bought the correct spring for that model, and I
am certain I installed it correctly. I threw new belts on. I did my
yard (1/2 acre), and now drive belt is slipping badly. The belt is
installed correctly, the brakes aren't dragging, the rear end spins
correctly and freely when I jacked it up off the ground, the belt
tensioneer pulley seems to be fine, and all pulleys seem to spin freely
and correctly. The gears are all fine. My question- why after an hour
of use is this thing not moving? Yard is flat, I'm a big guy, but this
mower should be able to pull wheelies, and then some! Deck drive is
fine. That is not an issue. I am TOTALLY stumped! Do I maybe try a new
tensioneer pulley? Is the drive belt too big? Are pulleys glazed? Mower
is in REALLY nice shape...Is drive belt shot after burning off that
"cloth" type covering? My book says NOTHING about how to tighten up the
tension on the drive belt!
Thanks...time to go borrow the neighbor's push mower and start cutting
now...ARRRGH!

Old 26-05-2003, 03:09 PM
Dr. Doctor

belt tension is not adjustable, if I understand tractor still moves but
barely as belts are slipping with a new belt installed ,
1 double check that you have the right belt
2 check idler pulleys and belt route and guides
3 engine pulley is worn (has spread apart and now belt rides to far in)

those are the areas I would check.

if you have no drive what so ever I would ask if you had rear wheel off to
check or fix something, if you did make sure the key that locks the wheel to
the axle did not fall out with out that key you will go no where.

Old 07-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Matt

(Gregarious Dick) wrote in news:750-3ED2027B-
:

[...]

If the cloth cover is burned off the belt, it was NOT installed correctly.
Make sure that ALL the wire belt guides are in the correct places, and
that the belt is inside the guides, especially the ones at the idler
pulleys and the two at the front of the transaxle. There should be a
decal on the bottom of one of the foot rests that shows the correct
routing.

Matt