Old 26-05-2003, 11:56 PM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Default Lawn and garden questions.....

1. How often do I need to reseed my lawn, I live in Zone 08a, and had a sod
lawn put in about 2 years ago. It's been nothing but problems since, of
course the dogs dont help matters. I reseeded bare spots last year and they
are still full. But how often must I actually reseed the entire lawn to
keep it lush.

2. Foxtails, they are the bain of my existance. I live in a very rural area
and there are foxtails all over the place, it's now spread to certain spots
of my lawn, is there a chemical that will kill the foxtails but leave the
lawn intact? My local homedepot or lowes says that foxtails and lawns are
of the same variety, so a chemical to kill foxtails will also kill the lawn,
is this so?

3. In the winter I dont have to water at all for several months (thank
goodness, can't stand the $120.00 water bills in the summer), but here it is
memorial day, and we've only had about 10 days of hot weather. How much
water do I have to water. Im reduced to watering by hand, since my rider
mower ran over a sprinkler head or two that my room mate put too high. Is
there a way of guaging how much water you are putting on by hand?

4. My grass seems to be reseeding itself in certan areas, that is to say,
that there is plenty of areas that look like they are reseeding themselves
evident by the grass seeds that are at the tips of my lawns blades. It
seems that even though I cut on the highest setting on my rider mower, the
grass still wants to reseed, should I skip these areas when I mow and let it
reseed naturally, or just keep mowing the entire lawn?

I'd sure like to have the lawn back the way it originally looked when they
layed the sod, but I guess thats just not possible what with dogs and all.
Seems my dogs only defecate on the law if I cut it, if I let it get long and
shaggy, like 5 inches they wont use it as a potty space, but when I cut it
down to like 3 inches, I've got landmines all over the place.

THanks

Old 27-05-2003, 01:56 AM
RESTRICTED ACCOUNT

GamePlayer No. 1058 wrote:

..........4. My grass seems to be reseeding itself in certan areas, that is to say,
that there is plenty of areas that look like they are reseeding themselves
evident by the grass seeds that are at the tips of my lawns blades. It
seems that even though I cut on the highest setting on my rider mower, the
grass still wants to reseed,...........

If you have seed heads at normal mowing height then it sounds like you
have poa annua (annual bluegrass). This is one of the few grasses that
forms seed heads at such low heights. It looks fine in cool weather,
but it will brown out severely in hot weather. Not good.

Old 29-05-2003, 11:09 PM
Chet Hayes

If a lawn is maintained properly, it should go almost indefintely
without having to be completely reseeded. If your sod is shot after 2
years, something is very wrong.

Regarding water, more lawns have probably been killed with water than
anything else. In warm weather if it hasn't rained, a lawn in good
soil needs about an inch of water a week. IF your soil doesn't retain
water well, then maybe every 4 days or so with 3/4 inch is better. If
you underwater it, it will simply go dormant. The worst thing you can
do is over water it which promotes shallow roots and disease.

I see lots of people that put on sprinklers for 15 minutes a day.
They don't have a clue. All that does is get the surface wet so
disease can grow. Take some tuna cans and lay them out, put your
sprinkler on for an hour and you can measure how much water is being
delivered. In my system, it takes over an hour per zone to get to 3/4
inch.