Old 02-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Eduard Nemirovsky

Default grass problem, please help

Hi all,
I have a big problem with my backyard. I am in Washington, DC area.Last few
years we seeed and reseed at least a four -five times. Grass covering very
patchy. For a last two weeks we have a lot of rain. Last week TrueGreen
ChemLawn applied fertilizer and weed control. Now my grass very easy to
pull, just simple cleaning with rake left a lot of free ground.
Any idea or comments? Please.

Old 02-06-2003, 05:20 PM

"Eduard Nemirovsky" wrote:
Hi all,
I have a big problem with my backyard. I am in Washington, DC area.Last
few years we seeed and reseed at least a four -five times. Grass covering
very patchy. For a last two weeks we have a lot of rain. Last week
TrueGreen ChemLawn applied fertilizer and weed control. Now my grass very
easy to pull, just simple cleaning with rake left a lot of free ground.
Any idea or comments? Please.

It sounds like grubs, here's a link that describes them.

http://tinyurl.com/d9ia

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 02-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Timothy

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 08:55:31 -0400, Eduard Nemirovsky wrote:

Hi all,
I have a big problem with my backyard. I am in Washington, DC area.Last
few years we seeed and reseed at least a four -five times. Grass covering
very patchy. For a last two weeks we have a lot of rain. Last week
TrueGreen ChemLawn applied fertilizer and weed control. Now my grass very
easy to pull, just simple cleaning with rake left a lot of free ground.
Any idea or comments? Please.

With out seeing a photo of the lawn, I would have to say that chemlawn
is/has killed your lawn. Excessive amounts of nitrogen causing large
amounts of top growth with very little rooting. If this is combined with
regular, shallow watering then the roots won't reach deep enough into the
soil to securly anchor the grass. Also if chemlawn has been consistanly
over fertilizing and over applying weed control, these chemicals could be
building up and posioning the soil to the point that the soil cannot
sustain the lawn.
The lawn may be being affected by some type of turf disease. Again this is
hard to tell with out photos.

What I would do...
1 demand a list of the chemicals that have been applied to your property.
2 demand a list of the amounts of chemicals applied to your lawn.
3 demand to see the pesticide applicator's certification when they arrive
to do service.(they must carry their certification with them here in
washington state, unsure how it works in d.c)
4 take samples of your lawn's soil and have them tested for chemical
overload. 30 to 50 bucks is worth the cost if you need to go to court to
have chemlawn replace your lawn.
5 FIRE THEM

Just short of going on a rant, the next time you replace your carpet, take
some bits of it and have it analized. You will be totally shocked by the
ammount of chemicals that have been tracted into your house over the
years. Chemicals that no vaccum can remove. Chemicals tracked into your
home from your lawn.
Good luck with the chemlawn.........
--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com
Bellingham, Washington

Old 03-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Chet Hayes

You didn't indicate when you last seeded. If you are seeding, your
service needs to take that into account. For example, if you seeded
this spring, they should not have used regular pre-emergent crab grass
control, which they normally would do. If they did, it will prevent
your grass from germinating too. These services typically have a tank
trunk full of whatever they are applying and want to just do all the
lawns with it.

What has your watering practice been? Seeded areas need to be kept
constantly wet, preferably topped lightly with weed free straw or peat
moss. Once established a lawn in good soil needs about 1" of water
applied about once a week. In poorer, faster draining soil, 3/4 inch
maybe every 4 days in hot weather may be needed. You don't want to
water shallow and frequently as that promotes shallow roots and
disease.

A bad grub problem will also result in grass that pulls up like
carpet.

I'd have your soil tested for PH, nitrogen, nutrients, etc. Here in
NJ you can get it done for about $12.

It's too late to seed now. I'd plan to do it right in early sept.

Old 05-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Peter H

"Timothy" wrote in message
news
[...]

Hey Timothy. You should stick to posting only about things of which you have
some knowledge. Ranting in ignorance makes you look very foolish in my
opinion.

Peter H

Old 05-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Dave G

I second that

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 21:17:14 GMT, "Peter H"
wrote:

news