Old 04-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Mojo

Default Which Grass trimmer

I am looking for a grass trimmer for a small yard. My lot is about
100 feet by 80 feet. Should I get an electric or a gas trimmer? What
is a good, reliable brand? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:56 AM
QUAKEnSHAKE

I have a 31cc Ryobi 775r (gas)its 4 years old and has been flawless.
My yard is 150x65' so not much bigger than yours. I never have used an
electric one. I do use an electric leaf blower where I work and can say
I dont like having to drag the cord around, snagging, accidentally
unplugging trying to unsnag the cord. I have used a gas blower at a
prior job liked it much better. For this reason is why I bought a gas
trimmer. Power wise mine is more than sufficient, maybe too much power.
I have taken off a few chunks of siding a small electric one may not
cause this(not sure though). Too on mine the shaft can be rotated for
edging the sidewalk & curb.
There are cordless electric trimmers that may suit you.
I would say for your size lot gas vs electric comes down to how
comfortable you feel using a gas one, having a separate gas can for the
oil/gas mixture {OH I get about 4 trimmings per tank} plus you can at
times have the smell of the exhaust linger on your body (something my
wife cant stand).
If I was in the market for a new trimmer I would definitely check out a
cordless one but corded electric would be last on the list.

Old 05-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Timothy

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 19:33:01 -0500, QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:

[...]

I too also have a ryobi 775r. I bought it in a pinch once when I needed a
pole cutter. I was going to return it after the job but the ryobi
preformed so well I ended up keeping it. I've read great reviews about the
motors and how there sought out by rc plane builders and ultralight
builders. I use mine now about 500 hours a year now mostly for extenion
hedging, pole cutting and blade edging. I rarely use mine for string
trimming, only as a back up to my echo trimmer. Over all I'd have to say
that it's a very well built machine for the price and hands down the best
trimmer in that price range.
--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com
Bellingham, Washington

Old 05-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Mojo

Thanks for the information. I am leaning towards a gas trimmer. The
engine on the back helps balance it much better. I will swing by Home
Depot and see what they have. I have heard the the batteries on the
rechargeable ones need to be replaced periodically at $30 to $40
depending on make and model. Thanks again.

Old 05-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Mojo

Do the attachments work well? Especially blade edger.

Old 06-06-2003, 05:20 AM
QUAKEnSHAKE

I havent used any attachments. For edging like half way down the shaft
there is a knob loosen this knob push in a button and you can rotate
shaft like 90 degrees & 180 degrees (its built to do so) 90 position I
use for edging.
If a person was to give me that edger attachment though as a gift I
would use it.

Old 07-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Chas Hurst

"Mojo" wrote in message ...
Do the attachments work well? Especially blade edger.

I've got the saw trimmer and it works great.

Old 07-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Bill Freeman

Ryobi gas 4-cycle trimmer, snow blower, saw, hedger and tiller.
Works great! Bought mine "refurbished" on eBay. Suggest synthetic oil
(turns over easier in winter, better protection in summer). Also recommend
goggles and perhaps dust mask for trimming (sucker throws up a bit of dirt).

Bill