Old 29-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Deep Thought

Default Which Hedge Trimmer

Have =A330 to spend on a hedge trimmer. I only have a small bush but it
needs tidying once or twice a year

Any recommendations?

thanks!

Old 29-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
"Deep Thought" writes:
| Have =A330 to spend on a hedge trimmer. I only have a small bush but it
| needs tidying once or twice a year
|
| Any recommendations?

A pair of garden shears.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Deep Thought

When I say small, I mean about 10 feet long and 7 feet tall. I cant be
arsed with shears

Old 29-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Chris Bacon

Deep Thought wrote:
When I say small, I mean about 10 feet long and 7 feet tall. I cant be
arsed with shears

So, no deep thought, then.

Go to B&Q and buy a:

Performance Power Electric Hedge Cutter PWR550HTA Power: 550 watt,
Blade length: 60cm Branch cutting diameter:20mm Weight:3.9kg Cable
Length:10 metres Mechanical blade brake Aluminium guide rail
Connecting rod gear Asymetric blade

for 30 quid. Make sure you keep the receipt.

Alternatively, on the same page:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/catego...?CATID=8090030

There's the McCulloch Petrol Hedge Trimmer Gladiator 550, which
according to B&Q will cut 18 cm. branches. Must be quite a monster.
A snip at only £120.
Old 29-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article . com,
"Deep Thought" writes:

| When I say small, I mean about 10 feet long and 7 feet tall. I cant be
| arsed with shears

No, I am proposing that you use them to trim the hedge :-)

If you actually work out how much time and effort you will spend
(forget the money, and the storage space, where manual tools win),
you will often find that manual tools are often faster and easier.

Also, I got rid of my electric hedge clipper because I was not
strong enough in the arms to use it safely, and it was tiring me
so badly - I keep my shears, because using them safely needs less
effort and they are less tiring.

But it is amazing how few people are rational about such things.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Stuart

On 29 Apr 2005 03:12:51 -0700, "Deep Thought"
wrote:

Have £30 to spend on a hedge trimmer. I only have a small bush but it
needs tidying once or twice a year

Any recommendations?

thanks!

Nothing wrong with a small bush ...lol
Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.
Old 29-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article . com,
"Deep Thought" writes:

When I say small, I mean about 10 feet long and 7 feet tall. I

cant
be arsed with shears

No, I am proposing that you use them to trim the hedge :-)

If you actually work out how much time and effort you will spend
(forget the money, and the storage space, where manual tools win),
you will often find that manual tools are often faster and easier.

Also, I got rid of my electric hedge clipper because I was not
strong enough in the arms to use it safely, and it was tiring me
so badly - I keep my shears, because using them safely needs less
effort and they are less tiring.

But it is amazing how few people are rational about such things.

Hell, Nick, you still don't get it, do you? You seem to think
gardening's about growing plants, and fun, and prehistoric shit like
that. I know for a fact that when a bump appeared on your lawn you
_didn't_ hire a rotovator, you _didn't_ buy fifty tons of topsoil,
and you _didn't_ returf the lot. I don't like to accuse a man on
circumstantial evidence, but I bet you even grow flowers from
_seeds_, for heaven's sake! Get it into your head that proper modern
gardening's about spending money, and making lots of noise, or the
Conspicuous Consumption Police will come and cart you away to the
Techno-Bucks Re-education Centre before you infect anybody else with
your destructive notions.

I'm only telling you for your own good.

--
Mike.

Old 29-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| Hell, Nick, you still don't get it, do you? You seem to think
| gardening's about growing plants, and fun, and prehistoric shit like
| that. I know for a fact that when a bump appeared on your lawn you
| _didn't_ hire a rotovator, you _didn't_ buy fifty tons of topsoil,
| and you _didn't_ returf the lot. I don't like to accuse a man on
| circumstantial evidence, but I bet you even grow flowers from
| _seeds_, for heaven's sake! Get it into your head that proper modern
| gardening's about spending money, and making lots of noise, or the
| Conspicuous Consumption Police will come and cart you away to the
| Techno-Bucks Re-education Centre before you infect anybody else with
| your destructive notions.
|
| I'm only telling you for your own good.

Thanks for the warning. That bump appears about the time that
I was visited by a salesman who insisted that I bought an all
electronic dibber, with an easy-to-use Windows XP interface.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

. Then last summer, someone advertised secondhand a small Black and
Decker electric hedgetrimmer for 15 quid and let me have a trial run.
Brilliant! It's light and very manoeuvrable . I can easily cut 50 m of
hawthorn hedge in a single session, faster and easier than the
handshears with a tighter neater finish. Model GC 16 H2, with a 16 "
blade.

I bought a small, cheap rechargeable from the local DIY shed last year
and so far am very pleased with it. If I keep it recharged, it's as
quick to get out as the hand shears, it's well balanced and not too
heavy, and I get bored very easily so never cut huge amounts of hedge in
one go. It won't handle thick stuff (more than 1cm), but for trimming
off masses of new growth it's great, and as a bonus made light work of
trimming the dead flowering stems from the lavender, marjoram and winter
savory.
--
Kay

Old 29-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Lobster

Deep Thought wrote:
Have £30 to spend on a hedge trimmer. I only have a small bush but it
needs tidying once or twice a year

Any recommendations?

I bought a mains-powered Bosch (I forget the model number, sorry) from
Focus for 20-something quid a few weeks ago - it seems fine to me, and
has to be better than the own-brand crud all the sheds sell.

David

Old 29-04-2005, 05:36 PM
Toolmaker

"Deep Thought" wrote
Have £30 to spend on a hedge trimmer. I only have a small bush
but it needs tidying once or twice a year

Any recommendations?

thanks!

Not within your budget (three times more), but how about a Garden Groom?
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...74&paintCatId=

same link http://tinyurl.com/cptb3

It collects as it cuts - for a reluctant gardener like me, that's just the
job

Old 29-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Deep Thought wrote:
Have £30 to spend on a hedge trimmer. I only have a small bush but it
needs tidying once or twice a year

Any recommendations?

My good lady uses a BIC disposable. £30 should get you enough to last
the whole year, but I'd be inclined to suggest tidying it once a week to
keep it looking nice.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Old 29-04-2005, 09:25 PM
nambucca

"Deep Thought" wrote in message
oups.com...
Have £30 to spend on a hedge trimmer. I only have a small bush but it
needs tidying once or twice a year

Any recommendations?

thanks!

If you only have a small bush you would be better spending your money on a
good pair of Felco secateurs .......theres no substitute for judicous
pruning

A hedge trimmer is going OTT and will not leave a good result either

Old 29-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Stan The Man

In article , @ wrote:

Deep Thought wrote:
Have £30 to spend on a hedge trimmer. I only have a small bush but it
needs tidying once or twice a year

Any recommendations?

My good lady uses a BIC disposable. £30 should get you enough to last
the whole year, but I'd be inclined to suggest tidying it once a week to
keep it looking nice.

Yes, I'm sure I've seen my neighbour trimming a perfect BICini line in
her shrubbery. I don't think she knew I was watching.
Old 30-04-2005, 06:41 PM
The Natural Philosopher

Deep Thought wrote:

When I say small, I mean about 10 feet long and 7 feet tall. I cant be
arsed with shears

They are less work on that size than a trimmer.