Old 13-06-2003, 07:54 PM
n0sPaM

Default Lawn Mower blade

I want to sharpen my lawn mower blade using Dremel tool, how far and in what
angle should I sharpen it?

thanks.

Old 13-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Perry Noid

n0sPaM wrote:

I want to sharpen my lawn mower blade using Dremel tool, how far and in what
angle should I sharpen it?

thanks.

doh.

using a big file while holding the blade in a vice would be much faster,
tho file facing away from the cutting edge so you don't cut yourself.
Most people use bench grinders to sharpen mower blades. Ask a neighbor?
Might be cheaper and easier to just buy a new blade.
Old 14-06-2003, 04:08 AM
HARRYLEHMANHORSELOGGING

Dremel will be wimpy. what ever you use, wear gloves. Bench grinder or
hand held side grinder is better. Give er a try. don't cut yerself
Old 14-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Perry Noid

Chip Stein wrote:

HARRYLEHMANHORSELOGGING wrote:
Dremel will be wimpy. what ever you use, wear gloves. Bench grinder or
hand held side grinder is better. Give er a try. don't cut yerself

sharpen it as far as it is now. lay the angle at roughly 40degrees
Chip

yeah, lol, since he's sharpening it with a dremel! lol choose whichever
angle required removing the least amount of metel. A narrow angle will
cut better, but gets dull faster. The blade will last longer with a more
abrupt, wider angle.

Old 15-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Chris

I bought a grinding wheel that mounts in a drill that is specifically made
to sharpen mower blades. I think i got it from Wal-mart. Also you need to
balance the blade when you are finished sharpening it. Hang it from a nail,
screwdriver or anything else you can think of and balance it so it hangs
evenly. The mower will vibrate less and last longer.
e.rogers.com...

Old 16-06-2003, 04:07 PM
Bill Freeman

All good suggestions. Recommend pulling the spark plug wire,
closing the carb (Hondas have this feature), turning your lawn mower on its
side and using a file hasp at about a 45 degree angle against the blades
while wearing heavy gloves and eye protection. After a bit of practice
you'll be able to sharpen the blade every time you use it .. . much easier
on the grass and the blades. Make a mental count of the number of passes on
each blade end to equalize wear (and balance). Recommend a plastic blade
balancer once a year to prevent shake and shudder.

"Chris" wrote in message
I bought a grinding wheel that mounts in a drill that is specifically made
to sharpen mower blades. I think i got it from Wal-mart. Also you need to
balance the blade when you are finished sharpening it. Hang it from a

nail,
screwdriver or anything else you can think of and balance it so it hangs
evenly. The mower will vibrate less and last longer.
e.rogers.com...