Old 19-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Teffy

Default Bad Solenoid on riding mower?

While mowing, my riding mower died. It's a Gravely G-series 16hp that
is 15 years old.

When the ignition key is turned from off to run, I hear one soft
click. The lights work in this state. If I turn the key from run to
start, I hear one loud click and nothing else.

The wiring diagram is shown he
http://home.attbi.com/~smschueler/Gr...iagram-big.jpg

The voltage (no load) across battery terminals measures 12 v.

When the key is in the start position, I measure these voltages:
8.0 v across brown wire from ignition switch to solenoid S10 terminal.
7.2 v from solenoid terminals S10 to S2 (terminals with small gauge
wires).
0.5 v from S2 to battery negative terminal.

As far as I can tell, the parts with safety switches are all in proper
position: Power Take-Off is dis-engaged, accelerator pedal is in
neutral, my butt is in the seat.

The connection from negative battery post to mower frame looks clean
and tight, and voltage from terminal to frame bolt is zero volts.

What do you think is wrong with the mower?

Thanks,
Teffy
Old 19-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Jim Kent

On 18 Jun 2003 19:03:42 -0700, (Teffy)
wrote:

When the key is in the start position, I measure these voltages:
8.0 v across brown wire from ignition switch to solenoid S10 terminal.
7.2 v from solenoid terminals S10 to S2 (terminals with small gauge
wires).
0.5 v from S2 to battery negative terminal.

You sure the battery is good? I'd be a little concerned about the
drop from 12v to 8v during starting. Is the starter motor getting the
8V? A battery in nominal condition and in 70F temperatures ought to
hold its voltage a little better than that, unless, of course, the
engine is seized and the starter motor can't turn. So the click
you're hearing is the solenoid, but you don't hear the starter motor
engaging? If that's the case, I'd have a closer look at the battery
and charging system. I'd be somewhat suspicious about the 12V o/c on
the battery.

OK, just for a reference point I went out and measured the battery
voltage on my tractor. Bear in mind, it hasn't run in almost a month,
nor was the battery externally charged. It read 12.78V (and my meter
is accurate to better than .1V) no load, and 10.95V with the starter
motor running.

So, if I were you, I'd put a set of jumper cables from your car to the
tractor and give it another try. From the data you give, the state of
battery charge would be the first thing to look at. Once you get it
running, verify that you're getting at least 13.8V on the battery from
the charging circuitry.

Old 20-06-2003, 04:32 AM
jim

Teffy wrote:

[...]

why not just take a jumper calble for the car and jump off the big red
wire that comes from the starter to the selenoid and go directly to the
battery and see if it cranks over.. if not then you know its either the
starter or the battery or some connection inbetween... and play it from
there.. dont know what the voltage is to your battery, but if its a 12
volt one, on a car if you have under 9 volts on a 12 volt system when
crankiing its the battery thats bad....is the battery fully charged by a
battery charger???????
Old 20-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Teffy

Thanks for all the advice! I will get the battery checked and take it from there.

Teffy