Old 04-09-2004, 10:24 PM
RB

Default pull starter for bad solenoid?

Went over to our American Legion Post today and worked on a couple of mowers
we use on the 10 acre grass areas.

One needed blade changeout. No problem.

The other is dead, with a brand new battery. It's the classic old bad
solenoid syndrome/symptom.

I was going to find the solenoid and jump it to verify it's the culprit.
But, it seems to me that the solenoid must be inside the starter case. The
wire from the positive battery terminal goes straight to a terminal on the
side of the starter.

I talked to a guy in passing who said: "oh yeah, these newer mowers have
starter soenoid units inside one case. If either is bad, you have to
replace the whole unit".

Is this true? If this is the situation, I may as well get busy pulling the
starter unit.

Old 06-09-2004, 08:21 AM
Michael C De Vito

Hello Rbig, Sounds like that solenoid is inside the starter, should also
be a thin wire from that starter term. to the ign. switch, if so, change
entire starter, if not, follow wires from ign. switch to solenoid &
jump. Mike D

Old 07-09-2004, 04:17 PM
RB

Yes. My conclusion, also. I'll check it out.

Old 07-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Larry

"RB" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Before you do, I'd call around to the local Auto Parts, or Automotive
Electrical store to see who can test the starter. I'd have it 'bench
checked' to verify the problem prior to spending $$. This is also the place
that will likely repair your current unit and not try to sell you a complete
new one.
Larry

Old 08-09-2004, 12:02 AM
Srgnt Billko

"Larry" wrote in message

"RB" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Right - we have a senior locally who had a starter / generator rebuild
business for years. Retired now, he still does the rebuild - but doesn't
advertise - and you might have to wait 2 or 3 weeks - but the job is done
right - and he doesn't rob you.