Old 01-07-2003, 06:37 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Help! My new lawn is dying!

Hi Guys,

I laid a brand new lawn about two months ago, using turf from a reputable dealer.

I cleared and levelled the ground, and laid the turf on top. I carefully watered it every couple of days. Within a few weeks bare patches started to appear, and now the bare patches are about equal with what grass is left. I laid a similar lawn on much worse ground a few years ago with perfect results, so I don't understand what I've done wrong.

Help!

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:33 PM
Patch

Default Help! My new lawn is dying!

--
wardk

If it were me, I'd call the place where I bought it and ask them. (ASAP)

Old 01-07-2003, 07:33 PM

wardk wrote:
Hi Guys,

I laid a brand new lawn about two months ago, using turf from a
reputable dealer.

I cleared and levelled the ground, and laid the turf on top. I
carefully watered it every couple of days. Within a few weeks bare
patches started to appear, and now the bare patches are about equal
with what grass is left. I laid a similar lawn on much worse ground a
few years ago with perfect results, so I don't understand what I've
done wrong.

Help!

Thanks.

It could be any number of things, water,insects,disease etc.

You may want to call a professional.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 10-07-2003, 10:11 PM
Bob

"wardk" wrote in message

Hi Guys,

I laid a brand new lawn about two months ago, using turf from a
reputable dealer.

I cleared and levelled the ground, and laid the turf on top. I
carefully watered it every couple of days. Within a few weeks bare
patches started to appear, and now the bare patches are about equal
with what grass is left. I laid a similar lawn on much worse ground a
few years ago with perfect results, so I don't understand what I've
done wrong.

Have you asked the dealer? They might send someone to check it out.

Bob

Old 26-06-2006, 04:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steve

wardk wrote in
:

Hi Guys,

I laid a brand new lawn about two months ago, using turf from a
reputable dealer.

I cleared and levelled the ground, and laid the turf on top. I
carefully watered it every couple of days. Within a few weeks bare
patches started to appear, and now the bare patches are about equal
with what grass is left. I laid a similar lawn on much worse ground a
few years ago with perfect results, so I don't understand what I've
done wrong.

Help!

Thanks.

--
wardk
World! 100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers
- Total Privacy via Encryption =---

I was always told when you get turf, you have to water it much more then
seed. Soaking it twice a day for the first 2 weeks or so until it
establishes itself.

Old 26-06-2006, 05:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom The Great

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:51:25 -0500, Steve
wrote:

wardk wrote in
:

[...]

I heard the same thing, since the roots are short, and the top layer
of soil drys quickly, frequent watering was required.

later,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com

Old 27-06-2006, 01:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kyle Boatright

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:51:25 -0500, Steve
wrote:

wardk wrote in
:

[...]

There is a very fine line to walk when irrigating new sod. You don't want to
soak new sod until it is soggy. If the grass is too wet, the abundance of
water tells the grass "don't bother to grow roots, there is plenty of
water", or something to that effect. I laid 4,500 sf of zoysia exactly 2
weeks ago (to go with the other 7,500 sf I've already got). I watered
moderately 2x a day - once before dawn, and the other time just before noon.
This kept the soil moist during the day, but allowed it to dry out somewhat
overnight, which encourages the roots to grow, so they can find moisture.

The sod is surprisingly well rooted now, and I am cutting back on the
watering. In the past, I tended to over water and the sod took twice as
long to root well.

KB

Old 27-06-2006, 01:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"Tom The Great" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:51:25 -0500, Steve
wrote:

wardk wrote in
:

[...]

Sounds right to me. You want to keep it moist at all times for about
the first month, but not soggy and drenched. If it's Spring/Fall,
that's probably 2X a day. If it's hotter and sunny, then more
frequently. Sounds like the OP was not watering enough.

Also, hard to tell from "clearing" what soil prep work was done.

The OP should get a hold of the sod supplier and also a local ag
extension agent, if available.

Old 28-06-2006, 03:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom The Great

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:24:33 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:51:25 -0500, Steve
wrote:

wardk wrote in
:

[...]

Good point about watering, you don't want a swamp.

Just thinking about it, wouldn't you feed the yard with a fertilizer
that promots root growth to speed up the process?

later,

tom
Old 28-06-2006, 03:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jonny

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:51:25 -0500, Steve
wrote:

wardk wrote in
:

[...]

And we can all analyze this to death. Until some minute details and
observation of those of watering, how much irrigation and how often, dry
periods if any from mother nature, elevations, fertilizers in relation to
soil analysis, soil layers, underlying dead growth, actual soil analysis,
insect/mold/etc.; we're reaching in the dark. And that would be at best a
guess.
A brief look and feel would probably get a better guess of it.
--
Jonny