Old 04-07-2003, 12:08 AM
Scared and confused

Default Dry or diseased St. Augustine?

Hi guys,
Need your help. I live in Texas. Most of my lawn looks beautiful
except an area in the backyard. The area is about 10 feet in width and
looks very dry. Is is just dry grass or a disease? The grass gets
100% sun.

Here is a little history on the grass:
- St. Augustine grass (brand new home) installed in january
- sprinkler system installed in mid april
-about end of may/beginning of june we noticed that the grass in this
particular area (as well as other areas) was looking silvery and
leaves were curled in. we increased the water. MOst areas recovered
except this particular problem patch.
- about 2-3 weeks ago when we had rain almost all week, that patch of
problem grass looked greener and healthier for a few days. Then, it
went back to looking dry.

What's the problem? Lack of water, disease, drainage?

When the sod was newly installed we watered the lawn about every two
days . Then after it was more established we did twice a week for 20
minutes. Now we are at 30 minutes, twice a week.

What could be the problem? Photos of the problem are available at
http://www.consejeroviajero.com/lawnproblem
Old 04-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Tom J

"Scared and confused" wrote in message
om...

When the sod was newly installed we watered the lawn about every two
days . Then after it was more established we did twice a week for 20
minutes. Now we are at 30 minutes, twice a week.

30 minutes watering won't do anything for your lawn. That won't even give a
measurable amount. Put out some containers and water until you have 1/2", and
water at least 2 times a week until the grass is well established, then you
can cut back to once a week. You'll still need to water long enough to get at
least that 1/2" of water down.

Tom J

Old 06-07-2003, 07:49 PM

(Scared and confused) wrote:
[...]

Dunno much about St.Augustine since I'm in Ohio, but the pic
at the very bottom looks like leaf spot fungus .

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 07-07-2003, 02:12 AM
R Miller

[...]

I live in N.O. and have had the same problem. Looks like a fungus
,especially on the last photo. St Augustine doesn't like thatch, so always
bag the clippings when you cut the grass. Also it doesn't like too much
water. You can buy a bag of fungicide at H.D. and a hand spreader.That
should clear it up in about 2 weeks. I also only apply weed feed once a
year. Too much fertilizer and you can burn your lawn and get those dead
spots.

dry dry dry Rosie United Kingdom 0 02-04-2004 04:21 AM
diseased mulch? readingedu Gardening 1 08-04-2003 02:44 PM
diseased leaf Tom Bell Orchids 1 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Diseased plant altered genetically? VoySager Gardening 8 13-02-2003 05:25 AM
Are my pansies diseased? Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 0 17-12-2002 03:02 PM