Old 11-07-2003, 09:07 AM
Registered User

Default headache lawn

I live in NY. I redid my front lawn (20x20) two years ago with Scotts seeds. I'm guilty of not following a regiment to prevent weeds from growing. Recently I wanted a fresh start so I applied Scotts Summerguard (Insect protection and Fertilizer) and the results were horrific. Part of my lawn was burnt and the part that is still good started weeding even faster (clover+crabgrass). Scott already said they will reimburse me for seeds+product because I did not misuse it. Bottom line though, my lawn is in pretty bad shape and even worse, my lawn is continuous with a neighbor, whose lawn is fine but I don't want my problem to become his. I thought I would apply a weed control agent after the summerguard application but I'm not sure if it is wise to apply another "product" right after summerguard application. The burnt spots I probably need to reseed but I'm not sure what I should do with the all the weeds cropping next to my neighbor's side of the lawn. Short of pulling weed by hand or redoing my lawn entirely... any other suggestions?? And even if I have to pull the weeds out leaving bare spots.. should I reseed the area immediately afterwards or just wait until early fall to do any reseeding?? Thanks for any response.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:32 AM
Die Spammer !!!

your yard is not very big. pull the weeds yourself. it is very easy. the fertilizer
will not get rid of the weeds once they have established... only kill them. yardwork
is not yardwork for nothing. it's good exercse. some or most weeds grow in dry
conditions which means they will die or drown if the ground is kept wet.

--
quaspro

Old 11-07-2003, 12:20 PM

quaspro wrote:
[...]

That's a small area, kill the whole thing off with round up, the
third week in August. Then spread an inch of good topsoil, and
reseed, cover with a little straw or peat moss, stand back and
watch it grow. You will be cutting it in three weeks.(keep moist)

Good luck.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 11-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Peter H

"Die Spammer !!!" wrote in message
your yard is not very big. pull the weeds yourself. it is very easy. the

fertilizer
will not get rid of the weeds once they have established... only kill

them. yardwork
is not yardwork for nothing. it's good exercse. some or most weeds grow in

dry
conditions which means they will die or drown if the ground is kept wet.

I would take this advice with a grain of salt.

Peter H

Old 11-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Peter H

"quaspro" wrote in message

[...]

You may want to break down and bring in the pros for a season or two.

I haven't seen many lawns that weren't salvageable, but have to admit that
there have been some.

Peter H

Old 11-07-2003, 04:18 PM
Chet Hayes

The very best time to apply fertilizer is in the fall. Second best is
in late April using one that contains pre-emergent crabgrass control.
I generally do not apply fertilizer in the summer as the combination
of high temps, water and nitrogen can promote disease and fungus and
there is the potential to burn. If the lawn is properly maintained it
will do fine in summer without fertilizer.

Go get a 2 gal tank sprayer and a broadleaf weed killer like Weed B
Gone. Spray the weeds, but not when the weather is expected to be
real hot. I'd probably let the crabgrass go at this point. (Are you
sure it's crabgrass? The crabgrass plants are still small to med size
right now.) The retail products are not great at eliminating it. They
take multiple applications and usually kill grass with it. The best
product which does work is Aclaim, however it is not a retail product.
Whatever crabgrass you have is yours and can only spread to the
neighbor via seeds for next year.

What has your watering practice been? You should only water when it
hasn't rained. The lawn should get 1" every 5-7 days, depending on
temps and soil type. It's better to wait for the signs the lawn needs
water rather than overwater. Shallow frequent watering is the worst.

Get your soil tested. In the fall, you can adjust the PH, fertilize
and reseed where necessary. If the lawn is a real mess and has
undesirable grasses growing, you will be better off killing it and
reseeding. For full sun areas, I'd go with a tall fescue/blue grass
mix, buying the best seed you can find.