Old 08-08-2003, 07:06 PM
Dave Bunting

Default Toro scalping

I have an 1978 11-32 Toro (model 57360) which runs fine but the cut was
too short (couldn't use at height setting lower than 4 out of 5) and it
scalps on the right edge of the cut. After much thought I finally raised
the cut height to reasonable though still short by installing tires 2"
larger than specified. But it still always cuts an inch shorter on right
edge than on left, and infrequently scalps on right edge very deeply, digs
up to 1/2" into dirt, like really below the level of the bottom of the
tires. I can't figure out any way it can do that. I see some of you
mentioning replacing deck every 10-15 years-- why? Toro parts are
preposterously expensive. Any ideas on what's causing the scalping?
Old 09-08-2003, 05:43 AM
Greg Rice

Interesting situation:
Here's what I would do: (There are other's in this forum more knowledgeable
than I)
1. place the lawn mower on a flat smooth surface (driveway, sidewalk,
garage) measure the distance from the bottom of the deck on the left side to
the floor or surface and compare that measurement to the distance from the
bottom of the deck to the floor on the right side. You wheels should adjust
to make these measurements equal.

2. You can also measure from the blade, BUT be careful when you turn it.
Make sure the engine won't start by removing the spark plug or activating
the kill switch. It's possible that your deck is bent.

Greg

"Dave Bunting" wrote in message
I have an 1978 11-32 Toro (model 57360) which runs fine but the cut was
too short (couldn't use at height setting lower than 4 out of 5) and it
scalps on the right edge of the cut. After much thought I finally raised
the cut height to reasonable though still short by installing tires 2"
larger than specified. But it still always cuts an inch shorter on right
edge than on left, and infrequently scalps on right edge very deeply, digs
up to 1/2" into dirt, like really below the level of the bottom of the
tires. I can't figure out any way it can do that. I see some of you
mentioning replacing deck every 10-15 years-- why? Toro parts are
preposterously expensive. Any ideas on what's causing the scalping?

Lawn Mower Tractor dilemma ; TORO 16-38HXL or Yard-Man AN 5150K David Lawns 1 24-02-2005 05:51 PM
32" Toro Mower for Sale Barry Lawns 0 19-08-2004 05:23 PM
Prewinter Scalping Gun_Maddie Lawns 1 11-10-2003 10:22 PM
Toro Timecutter Z? j roberts Lawns 1 09-05-2003 02:08 PM
Lawn sprayers for Toro Robt Lawns 4 01-05-2003 07:44 PM