Old 17-08-2003, 01:10 AM
Andrew

Default watering small area

I keep finding water sprinklers that will "water a 100 radius area" or
"will water a 30 foot radius area"..
which is great if you have a large yard.. but I have a very small area
to water.

I need a way to water an area about 4 feet by 50 feet .. there are
plenty of tall and bushy plants in the area (this is the flower garden
next to my home)
what would you suggest for a good way to water this kind of area?

Old 17-08-2003, 01:25 AM

Andrew wrote:
I keep finding water sprinklers that will "water a 100 radius area" or
"will water a 30 foot radius area"..
which is great if you have a large yard.. but I have a very small area
to water.

I need a way to water an area about 4 feet by 50 feet .. there are
plenty of tall and bushy plants in the area (this is the flower garden
next to my home)
what would you suggest for a good way to water this kind of area?

Have you tried an irrigation (soaker) hose? A hose with lots of little
hole in it, or there's the bleeder type that just slowly ooze's water out.

It screws into any garden hose or fitting.

--
GO# 40
Old 17-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Greg Rice

You might try using a sprinkler with a "narrow strip" type head. you should
be able to find them in the irrigation isle at Home Depot or equivalent. I'm
not sure if I've seen one that narrow (4'), but it's worth a shot. Plus, if
you have low volume/pressure, these sprinkler heads are usually low volume
also.

The type of sprinkler I'm talking about are usually designed for in-ground
irrigation, but they can be modified as a hose end sprinkler.

Old 18-08-2003, 02:56 AM
Joe Doe

In article , Andrew
wrote:

the irrigation soaker is great at one end .. sprays nicely .. and at the
other end.. well it just kind of leaks out.. (in my opinion: worthless)
as for the bleader type .. that sounds like it might work, but i'd have
to just run several of them .. since all they would do is just, well
bleed the water out.. and the area is about 4 feet wide..
i do thank you for the ideas though..

Bleeding type saturate the ground eventually at least to a few feet in
each direction. I use a 50' length to water an area about 8 feet wide and
25 feet long. I run it at low flow for 2-4 hours depending on how much I
want to water. I have clay soil. If you have sandy soil maybe it will
not diffuse much.

Roland

Old 18-08-2003, 08:26 PM
Bob

"Andrew" wrote in message

the irrigation soaker is great at one end .. sprays nicely .. and at the
other end.. well it just kind of leaks out..

Soaker hoses are designed to soak, not spray. Adjust the water pressure down
to the point that it drips water slowly along the length of the hose, and
the watering will be much more even. The higher the pressure is, the more
uneven the distribution will be.

I've got a sprinkler that has several selectable patterns produced by a
series of holes in a dome that the water comes out of. The 2nd narrowest
selection, with 2 rows of holes active, would likely work well for what you
are wanting, if your pressure is high enough, and there are not trees
blocking the high spray. It is a melnor "turrent sprinkler".

Bob

Old 19-08-2003, 06:33 AM
Jim Sullivan

Try one of these: http://gardening.fiskars.com/sprinkler_hoses.html