Old 02-09-2003, 05:32 PM
silven

Default Question: Lawn Spray

My brother recently moved into a new house in the country and has noticed
his neighbor spraying something on his lawn. The chemical has left a
strong smell that still exists even after 10 days. It has rainned twice
during the 10 days. The chemical has killed some red bushes and alot of
the vegitation that is in a ditch near the house.

When my brother approach the neighbor and asked him what he was spraying
the guy basically brushed him off and said it was something that he would
have to get use. He also mentionned that it was a chemical that you could
buy in any story but would not give him the name and said that he threw the
container away.

My brother is a little worried since he has a 9 month old little daughter.

You can still smell this stuff today from a distance of 200 feet.

Can anyone tell me if this normal? What should my brother do if it is not
normal?

Thanks for any info
Old 02-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Peter H

"silven" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not sure what that chemical would be. To still be smelling it 10 days
later, after 2 rainfalls and at a distance of 200 ft. is unusual to say the
least. If I were your brother I'd make another attempt at asking the
neighbour what the product was and mention the young child.

It is not uncommon for homeowners to greatly overdo pesticide applications
with the attitude that if an ounce will do the job then 6 ounces will do it
even better.

Generally speaking it is the insecticides that have the most significant
odour and some of them are the most toxic as well.

You may want to suggest having your brother contact one of the lawn spraying
companies in the area and have them come out and try to identify the smell.
That would be a start at least.

Peter H

Old 04-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Chet Hayes

"Peter H" wrote in message le.rogers.com...
"silven" wrote in message
[...]

If this was applied to a lawn and killed bushes and vegetation in a
ditch, then it sounds like a broadleaf weed killer.

If you can't get it identified and it really smells that strong long
after application, I would call the local health department and have
them come and check it out.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:42 PM

(Chet Hayes) wrote:
"Peter H" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
"silven" wrote in message
[...]

Good point. Also, some have used petroleum products such as diesel
fuel, kerosene, and even gasoline as vegetation controls. If it's
either of the first two, the smell could linger for a long while.

--
GO #40
Old 04-09-2003, 07:02 PM
silven

wrote in
:

(Chet Hayes) wrote:
"Peter H" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
"silven" wrote in message
[...]

Hi everyone thanks for all your responses. He decided to get the health
department involved since the neighbor would not tell him anything. The
guy did say that turpentine was an ingredient or he had been mixing it with
turpentine.

Thanks

When to spray lawn for crane flies? Lawn Guy Lawns 3 21-10-2008 05:44 AM
Fertilizer spray feeder jars question Kurt Gavin Lawns 4 03-07-2006 06:50 PM
Spray to kill lawn grass? Rich Gardening 5 27-05-2004 03:02 AM
Spray on lawn... Morphet Australia 7 02-11-2003 01:34 AM
spray-on lawn?? Jim Lawns 2 01-06-2003 03:08 PM