Old 22-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Jo Cohen

Default New homeowner

Hi folks!

I am a single female who just bought my first home....and I need to buy a
lawnmower. It's been suggested that I buy an electric start, self-propelled
one. I currently have a used Honda with pull-start, that doesn't seem to
want to start or stay started. A neighbor told me it probably wasn't worth
fixing, and another male friend said it might be as simple as an air filter
or spark plug (it hadn't been used in a few years).

Can anyone recommend what type of new one would be good, easy to use, and
the best place to buy it (i.e., Sears vs. Home Despot?!)

Also, I think I will need some sort of edger for where I can't get with the
lawnmower. Recommendations that are not *too* expensive?

Thanks!

Jo

Old 22-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Ermalina

Jo Cohen wrote:

Hi folks!

I am a single female who just bought my first home....and I need to buy a
lawnmower. It's been suggested that I buy an electric start, self-propelled
one. I currently have a used Honda with pull-start, that doesn't seem to
want to start or stay started. A neighbor told me it probably wasn't worth
fixing, and another male friend said it might be as simple as an air filter
or spark plug (it hadn't been used in a few years).

Can anyone recommend what type of new one would be good, easy to use, and
the best place to buy it (i.e., Sears vs. Home Despot?!)

Also, I think I will need some sort of edger for where I can't get with the
lawnmower. Recommendations that are not *too* expensive?

Thanks!

Jo

Check out the Toro SuperRecycler (cast aluminum deck for durability)
with Personal Pace (no fiddling with gears and it keeps up with you
rather than vice versa.

Whatever you get, I'd recommend going to a local dealer rather than a
department or big box store like Home Depot -- better, more
knowledgeable customer service.
Old 22-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Jo Cohen

"Ermalina" wrote in message
Jo Cohen wrote:

[...]

Good point, but aren't they much more expensive?

Thanks, Jo

Old 22-09-2003, 07:42 PM
KB

"Jo Cohen" wrote in message
Hi folks!

Can anyone recommend what type of new one would be good, easy to use, and
the best place to buy it (i.e., Sears vs. Home Despot?!)

A push type(no engine) reel mower..try Great States ...avoid Scotts

Old 23-09-2003, 12:14 AM
Colbyt

"Jo Cohen" wrote in message
[...]

You did not state the size of your yard.

Assuming a typical lot of about 8000 square feet, level and you young and
able.

Buy what best fits your budget, use stabil in the gas and keep the oil full
& changed.

A $99 mower from Wally world stored inside with regular oil changes will
cost you about $10 a year.

If you want to spend more, others have offered some good suggestions.

--
Colbyt
Remove " stopspam." from the email address to reply via email

Old 23-09-2003, 01:09 AM
Jo Cohen

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"Jo Cohen" wrote in message
[...]

About .40 acre

Assuming a typical lot of about 8000 square feet, level and you young and
able.

41 willing and able!

Buy what best fits your budget, use stabil in the gas and keep the oil

full
& changed.

Thanks!

A $99 mower from Wally world stored inside with regular oil changes will
cost you about $10 a year.

If you want to spend more, others have offered some good suggestions.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Jo

Old 23-09-2003, 04:43 AM
Die Spammer !!!

Buy what best fits your budget, use stabil in the gas and keep the oil full
& changed.

gas additives isnt' needed. you can store the mower in the garage with out
fuel. I have not has a problem with fuel after the winter time, but I dont live
in an area that dont get much below freezing during the winter. I always use the
higher octane gasoline as well.

A $99 mower from Wally world stored inside with regular oil changes will
cost you about $10 a year.

they sell new mowers for $99?

Old 23-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Colbyt

"Die Spammer !!!" wrote in message
Buy what best fits your budget, use stabil in the gas and keep the oil

full
& changed.

gas additives isnt' needed. you can store the mower in the garage with

out
fuel. I have not has a problem with fuel after the winter time, but I dont

live
in an area that dont get much below freezing during the winter. I always

use the
higher octane gasoline as well.

A $99 mower from Wally world stored inside with regular oil changes will
cost you about $10 a year.

they sell new mowers for $99?

On sale and unassembled yes.

This time of year, I don't know.

Old 23-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Chet Hayes

You can't beat the Honda Harmony series. They are expensive, but well
worth it. I have the 225 model and it is just fantastic, does a great
job of mulching.

Some other things you need to decide:

self propelled? definitely want it for a bigger yard

mulching or bagging? mulching is easier, no bags to keep emptying,
and returns nutrients to the soil, bagging gives a nicer look

I wouldn't pay much extra for the electric start. Todays small mower
engines are very easy to start with just a pull cord.

Old 23-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Jo Cohen

"Die Spammer !!!" wrote in message
what is the size of your yard?

The yard is .37 acres.
My sister and dad think I should simply pay $35 each time to have it mowed,
bagged and edged for the rest of the season, then either fix the old
lawnmower or buy a used one in the Spring. I could probably get away with
once every two weeks from now until the end of October.

Jo

Old 23-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Jo Cohen

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"Die Spammer !!!" wrote in message
Buy what best fits your budget, use stabil in the gas and keep the

oil
full
& changed.

gas additives isnt' needed. you can store the mower in the garage with

out
fuel. I have not has a problem with fuel after the winter time, but I

dont
live
in an area that dont get much below freezing during the winter. I always

use the
higher octane gasoline as well.

A $99 mower from Wally world stored inside with regular oil changes

will
cost you about $10 a year.

they sell new mowers for $99?

On sale and unassembled yes.

Unassembled! Yikes! I can barely assemble a portable phone! smile

Jo

This time of year, I don't know.

Old 23-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Jo Cohen

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
om...
You can't beat the Honda Harmony series. They are expensive, but well
worth it. I have the 225 model and it is just fantastic, does a great
job of mulching.

Some other things you need to decide:

self propelled? definitely want it for a bigger yard

Definitely need self-propelled...I had back surgery 3 years ago and am not
in the best of shape (yet!)

mulching or bagging? mulching is easier, no bags to keep emptying,
and returns nutrients to the soil, bagging gives a nicer look

ah, to bag or mulch? that is the question.....

i keep hearing conflicting views....the neighbors I've met say they mulch,
and apparently the idea that mulching clogs the lawn has been disproven?