Old 01-10-2003, 11:02 PM
donald girod

Default lima beans

We live in the "southern tier" of western New York state, and we have late
springs and early frosts. Still, some years we have been able to grow lima
beans with reasonable success. Not this year, which was cool and very wet,
and not last year, which was warm and very dry (but not too dry). What, if
anything, can we do to improve our luck? Mostly we have germination
problems. Even this year, the few plants which germinated had respectable
numbers of beans. Since lima beans are just about our favorite vegetable,
this is sad.

Old 02-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Karl Townsend

Try hilling your row, and putting Remay row cover over it to warm the soil
and protect from spring frost. Standard Minnesota trick. Plant earlier.

Karl

lima beans janet Gardening 1 31-08-2008 12:32 PM
Frozen Lima Beans James Edible Gardening 37 18-04-2007 12:46 PM
lima beans donald girod Gardening 5 24-10-2005 11:33 AM
Dried Lima Beans not Viable for Planting lagniappe Gardening 3 26-03-2003 03:32 PM
Sprouting Dried Lima Beans (for garden) lagniappe Gardening 13 07-03-2003 10:08 PM