Old 20-10-2005, 10:21 PM
donald girod

Default lima beans

Every year we plant lima beans (which we love) and rarely do we get more
than a couple of meals worth. We have a short growing season (most
years June 1 - October 1, but this year 5/15-10/15)) and it is often not
too warm and pretty wet in the summer (but this year hot and dry).
Regardless, the limas do poorly. This year the plants flourished and
looked better than they ever have, often the seeds don't even germinate,
but they blossomed late and did not set properly. Other beans in
adjacent rows did great. We have always planted Fordhook.

Does anybody have any advice? I would kill (well, no not really) to be
able to grow lima beans successfully.
Old 21-10-2005, 08:49 AM
presley

according to some things I have read, limas require more heat and a longer
growing season than other beans. Maybe that is your problem in general.
Unfortunately, beans don't usually transplant well, so I don't know if
starting them early indoors would do any good in your climate.

Old 21-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Doug Kanter

Try putting black plastic over the garden row a month ahead of time to warm
the soil, and then plant two weeks earlier. I had the same problem here in
upstate NY (zone 5), so I'll be trying this trick next year.

Old 21-10-2005, 04:14 PM
Tom J

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Try putting black plastic over the garden row a month ahead of time
to warm the soil, and then plant two weeks earlier. I had the same
problem here in upstate NY (zone 5), so I'll be trying this trick
next year.

Good idea, since limas need 60 degree soil to germinate properly. Also
a shorter time to maturity variety is called for where the growing
season is short. That's why Fordhook is a problem.
Tom J

Old 22-10-2005, 03:35 AM
Persephone

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:00:12 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Try putting black plastic over the garden row a month ahead of time to warm
the soil, and then plant two weeks earlier. I had the same problem here in
upstate NY (zone 5), so I'll be trying this trick next year.

Chinese peasants used to run a pipe from their kitchen/cooking
equipt/whatever, under ground. Warmed the soil very nicely.
Would this be do-able in any way?

--

Persephone

Old 24-10-2005, 11:33 AM
dps

Clear plastic provides more heat to the soil than black plastic.
However, it also lets the weeds grow underneath. I've used a combination
over melons in New England and had good results. Start with the black
plastic. Place hoops of wire with clear plastic over them over the black
plastic. I use a slitted plastic so when I put the plants in there is
some ventilation. The melons like temperatures in the 100's, but not
sure about limas.

I've had good luck transplanting things that "don't like to be
transplanted" by using peat pots. I haven't had much luck with the peat
pellets, but the pots work well.

When the melons [limas] are ready to be planted (3 true leaves or
thereabouts) slide back the clear plastic, punch holes in the black
plastic, make some mud in the hole and press (gently) the peat pot into
the mud. Then put back the clear plastic.

I take the clear plastic off when the plants start to grow out the slits.

This works on melons. I haven't tried it on limas. You can push the
season by two or three weeks.

Tom J wrote:
[...]

[IMG] code is On

lima beans janet Gardening 1 31-08-2008 12:32 PM
Frozen Lima Beans James Edible Gardening 37 18-04-2007 12:46 PM
lima beans donald girod Lawns 1 02-10-2003 03:22 PM
Dried Lima Beans not Viable for Planting lagniappe Gardening 3 26-03-2003 03:32 PM
Sprouting Dried Lima Beans (for garden) lagniappe Gardening 13 07-03-2003 10:08 PM