Old 31-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Allen Lai

Default To cut or not to cut ?

Hi there,

I am living in Toronto, Ontario, got a Cherry Tree and a maple at the back
yard, am thinking of thinning it out, is it a good time now in November or
should I wait till spring. Anything I have to pay special attention to when
I cut the branches ? Your advise will be very much appreciated.

Al

Old 31-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Peter H

"Allen Lai" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Hi there,

I am living in Toronto, Ontario, got a Cherry Tree and a maple at the back
yard, am thinking of thinning it out, is it a good time now in November or
should I wait till spring. Anything I have to pay special attention to

when
I cut the branches ? Your advise will be very much appreciated.

Al

This isn't a good time to be pruning trees in this area. They are beginning
to "harden off" for winter and you would be stimulating new growth if you
pruned them now. I'm not an arborist, but have taken a course or two in tree
management. I think as a general rule deciduous trees are best pruned in the
winter with the summer being a second choice.

You should be careful when taking on this project. There is an art/skill to
this work which is underappreciated by the general public. My b/inlaw ruined
two mature maples with his attempts at pruning them. Not only did he lose
two beautiful specimens, but it cost him a lot of money to have them taken
down and removed.

Peter H

Old 31-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Steveo

"Peter H" wrote:
"Allen Lai" wrote in message
[...]

Good advice, Peter, wait until winter.
Old 31-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Colbyt

"Allen Lai" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Hi there,

I am living in Toronto, Ontario, got a Cherry Tree and a maple at the back
yard, am thinking of thinning it out, is it a good time now in November or
should I wait till spring. Anything I have to pay special attention to

when
I cut the branches ? Your advise will be very much appreciated.

Al

Not sure about the cherry tree.

I have been told by people who should know that you only prune a Maple when
it is in full leaf. The cuts need time to scab over to prevent excessive
bleeding as the sap rises or falls.

--
Colbyt
Remove " stopspam." from the email address to reply via email

Old 31-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Steveo

"Colbyt" wrote:
"Allen Lai" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Hi there,

I am living in Toronto, Ontario, got a Cherry Tree and a maple at the
back yard, am thinking of thinning it out, is it a good time now in
November or should I wait till spring. Anything I have to pay special
attention to

when
I cut the branches ? Your advise will be very much appreciated.

Al

Not sure about the cherry tree.

I have been told by people who should know that you only prune a Maple
when it is in full leaf. The cuts need time to scab over to prevent
excessive bleeding as the sap rises or falls.

Do it after the sap falls.