Old 05-11-2003, 04:22 AM
Robert Olin

Default Tree Root Feeding in Winter?

Here in Western Washington we have mild winters. I have noticed that laurel
that I put in larger pots in the fall, will have filled out the pot, with
roots, by spring - so I conclude that the roots grow through the winter.

I have just transplanted some 15' tall Leyland Cypress and would like the
roots to recover by next summer. I lost some from a spring transplanting,
last summer, and conclude that the survival chances are far better when done
in November, as they have the whole winter to grow new roots. Question:

What can I feed the roots, during the winter that might help them along? B1
stimulator or is that not to be done in the late fall? I assume that
nitrogen is not to be given. How about phosphorous?

Thanks,
RO

Old 05-11-2003, 04:32 AM
Steveo

"Robert Olin" wrote:
Here in Western Washington we have mild winters. I have noticed that
laurel that I put in larger pots in the fall, will have filled out the
pot, with roots, by spring - so I conclude that the roots grow through
the winter.

I have just transplanted some 15' tall Leyland Cypress and would like the
roots to recover by next summer. I lost some from a spring
transplanting, last summer, and conclude that the survival chances are
far better when done in November, as they have the whole winter to grow
new roots. Question:

What can I feed the roots, during the winter that might help them along?
B1 stimulator or is that not to be done in the late fall? I assume that
nitrogen is not to be given. How about phosphorous?

Thanks,
RO

I'd be careful feeding them anything. It sounds like root development
hasn't been a problem so far. A small amount of bone meal, maybe.

As you've mentioned, don't transplant them in the spring.

Dig up tree root from large Cedar tree without Killing Tree? Albert[_4_] Gardening 8 12-08-2008 01:37 PM
New root from an external root? Mike Orchids 10 01-01-2005 07:34 PM
winter feeding fish *muffin* Ponds 4 18-10-2003 03:12 PM
[IBC] Crasulla - Jade - To root prune or not to root prune Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 0 29-04-2003 01:32 AM
Best fertilizer for root feeding plants. Sushil Prasad Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 24-04-2003 08:32 PM