Old 12-01-2004, 02:02 AM
Steven Banks

Default Tree Growth Question

Hello All,

I have a few trees that have suffered damage from recent storms here in the
greater Seattle area. I am going to miss some of the privacy and visual
warmth they have provided. My question is, which "species" of trees between
these two groups are the fastest growing:

Deciduous

Evergreen

Thanks,
Steve Banks

---

Old 12-01-2004, 05:12 AM
Larry

My question is, which "species" of trees between
these two groups are the fastest growing: Deciduous or Evergreen?

Steve, I'm just a little North of you (MV) and I have to add a couple more
thoughts for you to consider.

If you get a 'fast growing' tree, it will just keep going and may become a
'monster'. I had an evergreen in my front that just took over, so I had to
remove it. It was growing 1.5 to 2 feet each year.

I'd look at mature trees to ensure your selection will (sooner or later) be
suitable for that spot.

I recall seeing on the news a few weeks ago, those VERY tall spruce and firs
laying over across peoples homes (a little East of you?). The camera men
showed the soft ground around the trees and I thought "duh, was there any
other expected outcome"? So watch the soft soil if you want a tall variety.

If you want something that grows REALLY fast, look at cottonwood, then
poplar or alder. I'd also consider fruit trees. I've also got a Chinese Plum
that thinks it's on steroids- it sends out 5 to 6 foot sprouts every year,
and I keep pruning it back.

So, I'd look beyond growth rate.

Larry Wager
www.BackwoodsMetalArt.com
Truly unique creations
for Home and Yard

Old 12-01-2004, 06:03 AM
Jackson

Call your County Extension Agent. His number will be in the blue pages.
They are usually the best source of information about particular species
for local conditions. Ask to speak to a master gardener if one is
available.

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 17:47:57 -0800, "Steven Banks"
wrote:

Hello All,

I have a few trees that have suffered damage from recent storms here in the
greater Seattle area. I am going to miss some of the privacy and visual
warmth they have provided. My question is, which "species" of trees between
these two groups are the fastest growing:

Deciduous

Evergreen

Thanks,
Steve Banks

---

Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), Florida

Old 13-01-2004, 07:42 AM
Steven Banks

Hi Larry,

Thanks, I live in Covington to be exact. Thanks for the heads up concerning
the soil factor. We have quite a few firs in our yard and surrounding area.
Those were the trees pulling up in peoples yards.

A really nice maple in my yard got real torn up from the ice last week. Just
a shame.

Thanks again,
Steve

Old 13-01-2004, 07:42 AM
Steven Banks

"Jackson" wrote in message
Call your County Extension Agent. His number will be in the blue pages.
They are usually the best source of information about particular species
for local conditions. Ask to speak to a master gardener if one is
available.

Thanks Jackson,

I'll check it out along with an arborist I was trying to get in touch with.

Regards,
Steve

---