Old 01-02-2004, 08:12 PM
TheMidniteRyder

Default St. Augistine...HELP!!!!!

We live in So Cal and the wife insists on St Augistine grass. It is
spottily established in the yard, but how do I get it to spread? I am
not a native so cal'er and know very little about St. A.
She says water the hell outta it...that doesnt do wuch except raise
the water bill. Cant use weed and feed as it kills it..St. A is a weed
(IMOH). Anything I can reseed with that looks like St. A as St A seeds
are not available in the US? Ya know, try to fool her with a look
alike? Thanks for any help and advise.....Midnite
Old 01-02-2004, 10:35 PM
Bubba

Ryder,

St Augustine grass is a warm weather turf. It grows best in the hot humid
SE United States; however it should also grow in SoCal. I had an Augustine
lawn in my backyard as a youngster in Covina CA. My lawn in Mississippi
grew nearly 5 inches per week in the summer. You are correct in that it is
a water hog. Mow it long around 4 inches or so. Many lawn weed products
will kill or weaken it. You can fertilize with Bonus S or Sams Weed N Feed
for SOUTHERN lawns both of which are formulated for St Augustine. The lawn
will go dormant and turn brown in winter when temps drop. Seed is not
generally available so don't even think about over seeding. Sod and plugs
are widely found in the south. I would invest in a plugging tool so you can
cut your own 2x2 inche plugs from thick areas and plant them at one foot
intervals. It also doesn't tolerate a lot of foot traffic until
established. Hope this helps. Bubba

Old 07-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Scott Downey

Its awful grass, weak stuff.
If crabgrass did not die in the winter it would be great
Anyone like crabgrass ?

Old 07-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Doug G

Scott Downey wrote:

Its awful grass, weak stuff.
If crabgrass did not die in the winter it would be great
Anyone like crabgrass ?

I like it better than creeping charlie.

Old 10-02-2004, 01:02 AM
TheManFromUtopia

"TheMidniteRyder" wrote in message
We live in So Cal and the wife insists on St Augistine grass. It is
spottily established in the yard, but how do I get it to spread? I am
not a native so cal'er and know very little about St. A.
She says water the hell outta it...that doesnt do wuch except raise
the water bill. Cant use weed and feed as it kills it..St. A is a weed
(IMOH). Anything I can reseed with that looks like St. A as St A seeds
are not available in the US? Ya know, try to fool her with a look
alike? Thanks for any help and advise.....Midnite

St. Augustine grass will build up a thatch layer, that will act like a
sponge, absorbing much of the water applied so that little will actually
get to the roots. It requires regular dethatching to remain healthy. St. A
requires a bit of maintenance to keep it in good shape. Might not be a bad
idea to get yourself one of those ORTHO books about lawns a the local home
and garden supply.

Moths in St Augistine Grass pak Gardening 7 11-10-2007 05:12 AM
HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM