Old 10-10-2007, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
pak pak is offline

Default Moths in St Augistine Grass

I live in coastal Georgia and have recently noticed moths or some kind of
bugs in the grass. When I cut grass yesterday lots of bugs would fly out of
grass ahead of the mower. Grass is quite wet from lots of rain and
sprinklers. Any idea what they might be? and what I should do to eliminate
these bugs. I am assuming having these insects in grass is not good for
grass.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

"pak" wrote in message
. ..
I live in coastal Georgia and have recently noticed moths or some kind of
bugs in the grass. When I cut grass yesterday lots of bugs would fly out of
grass ahead of the mower. Grass is quite wet from lots of rain and
sprinklers. Any idea what they might be? and what I should do to eliminate
these bugs. I am assuming having these insects in grass is not good for
grass.

Same thing happens when I mow (upstate NY). My lawn's unbelievably healthy,
and I do nothing but mow correctly. Leave the bugs alone unless your grass
has problems

***AND*** ---notice the big "and"

....you're positive that you're not causing problems in some other way, like
mowing too low, etc.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:39:43 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"pak" wrote in message
I live in coastal Georgia and have recently noticed moths or some kind of
bugs in the grass. When I cut grass yesterday lots of bugs would fly out of
grass ahead of the mower. Grass is quite wet from lots of rain and
sprinklers. Any idea what they might be? and what I should do to eliminate
these bugs. I am assuming having these insects in grass is not good for
grass.

Same thing happens when I mow (upstate NY). My lawn's unbelievably healthy,
and I do nothing but mow correctly. Leave the bugs alone unless your grass
has problems

***AND*** ---notice the big "and"

...you're positive that you're not causing problems in some other way, like
mowing too low, etc.

A disadvantage I found.

Wasps hunt the grubs. when I step on the wasps, it hurts.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
pak pak is offline

I am not cutting too short. Question is , what kind of bugs are these and
WHY do I have and my neighbors do not?

"Charles" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:39:43 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

m...

Old 11-10-2007, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Charles" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:39:43 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

. ..

pak wrote:
I am not cutting too short. Question is , what kind of bugs are these
and WHY do I have and my neighbors do not?

That's easy... They like your yard better than theirs..

Find the bug, catch the bug, ID the bug before you set out to eradicate
something you do not know or understand...

Either way you won't know till you know what they are. Snap a GOOD pic,
eh..

Old 11-10-2007, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Jim is offline

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

[....]

Find the bug, catch the bug, ID the bug

that would be unsuburbanite behavior...

Old 11-10-2007, 03:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jim" wrote in message
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

[....]

Find the bug, catch the bug, ID the bug

that would be unsuburbanite behavior...

before you set out to eradicate
something you do not know or understand...

Snuff it out with some Roundup. Can't hide without grass to hide in....

Screw the pictures. I don't see the basis for assumption that the moths are
bad for the grass. Waiting...
Dave

Old 11-10-2007, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

"pak" wrote in message
I am not cutting too short. Question is , what kind of bugs are these and
WHY do I have and my neighbors do not?

If I use the words "cooperative extension", do you know what it means? Don't
be afraid to answer. There's a useful reason for the question.

[IMG] code is On

St. Augistine...HELP!!!!! TheMidniteRyder Lawns 5 10-02-2004 01:02 AM
The moths, the moths pete Permaculture 6 14-12-2003 05:42 AM
Surviving a plague of moths David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 30 13-08-2003 09:12 PM
Hawk Moths, Tomato Hornworms, and Nightshade Archie Ritter Edible Gardening 2 11-08-2003 07:32 PM
moths shannie United Kingdom 1 16-06-2003 11:20 PM