Old 28-03-2004, 10:50 PM
jesse james

Default Lime Application

How long after I apply an application of Lime (dolomite) pellets should I
wait to seed and fertilize a lawn.

Thanks in advance.

Old 29-03-2004, 02:02 AM
William W. Plummer

"jesse james" wrote in message
How long after I apply an application of Lime (dolomite) pellets should I
wait to seed and fertilize a lawn.

That's actually limestone (CaCO3), pulverized granite. It is very, very
slow to react -- 6 months to a year. So you can seed right after applying
the limestone. But, unless you purchase the new pre-emergent crabgrass
killer, it will kill your grass seed. Pick one or the other, this year at
least.

Now, if you really want to change the pH of your soil, buy some anhydrous
lime (CaO). They use it to mix cement, so call a cement company. Be
careful with it because it is very basic and will suck water out of darned
near anything -- skin included. A thin dusting is all you should put down.
People used to have a bucket of lime in the privy for odor control because
it is so reactive. We used it to renew the lines on the football field and
it was the chemical of choice for murders who wanted to dispose of a body!
("What evil lurks in the hearts of man? The Shadow knows....")

You might also consider applying some gypsum (CaSO3). This binds to the
clay in your soil and lets water flow. But it has little effect on the pH.

Old 31-03-2004, 03:06 AM
Bob

"jesse james" wrote in message
How long after I apply an application of Lime (dolomite)

pellets should I
wait to seed and fertilize a lawn.

If you seed too soon after applying lime, the seed will all die.
You should wait at least 5 minutes before seeding.

Bob

:-)