Old 06-04-2004, 09:29 PM
evolutionman 2004

Default Ridng Lawn / Garden Tractors

Anyone have any suggestions/problems with specific brands they'd care to
share? I'm interested in the 2003 - 2004 model Troy-bilt models carried at
Lowe's and the Craftsman models at Sears; 18.5 Hp, preferably automatic
transmission but I'd like to hear from the gear-jockeys, too. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:29 PM
RoyDMercer

Hydrostatic transmissions are the way to go, especially if you have
obstacles to go around. I've used both types and I can tell you I will
never go back to shifting gears.

link.net...

Old 06-04-2004, 09:29 PM
John

Check out Home Depot too, I got my 12hp Scotts several years ago and still
running strong. I think there made by John Deere? and get the automatic, I
cant imagine having to shift gears

Old 06-04-2004, 09:29 PM

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:57:59 -0700, "John"
wrote:

Check out Home Depot too, I got my 12hp Scotts several years ago and still
running strong. I think there made by John Deere? and get the automatic, I
cant imagine having to shift gears

"evolutionman 2004" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Anyone have any suggestions/problems with specific brands they'd care to
share? I'm interested in the 2003 - 2004 model Troy-bilt models carried

at
Lowe's and the Craftsman models at Sears; 18.5 Hp, preferably automatic
transmission but I'd like to hear from the gear-jockeys, too. Thanks.

For your reference I've been running my 12.5 HP Deere ride-on (RX 95)
for 17 years, and in Florida we mow all year long !!

Old 07-04-2004, 01:02 AM

Last year I traded in my John Deere for a Dixon 4515 ZTR.
I can't say enough about how great it is. I would have liked a
Grasshopper or Exmark, but they were $7000.

Not sure what you're looking to pay. My Dixon was $4200 with the
mulching kit. My John Deere had cost the same, but that was with a
bagger and PowerFlo.

Anyway, my mowing time went from 4 hours to 1 1/2 hours for just under
2 acres. And I have to do zero push mowing, the Dixon gets right down
in the ditch areas with no problems.

Old 14-04-2004, 09:03 PM
CHMS

new lurker wants info on your Dixons' mulching kit.
Was that a clipping bagging system?
I have1 acre and 38 mature oak trees that are prolific leaf droppers and am
considering moving up from my 12 year old Murray 42'
Thnx
ted

Old 20-04-2004, 01:05 PM

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:40:41 -0500, "CHMS" wrote:

new lurker wants info on your Dixons' mulching kit.
Was that a clipping bagging system?

No, it doesn't bag. The kit consists of mulching blades and a
baffle. But I can tell you it does a great job mulching.

I have a locust tree that drops pods. Anyone who knows these pods
knows how tough and hard they are.

I didn't want to shell out for a lawn sweeper, so I decided I'd try
mulching them. Ground them to fine powder.

Old 10-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Eyes Wide Open

If you're mechanically inclined you could find yourself an older Deere 200
series. Depending on what you want to do, a 212/214/216 would be a good
choice. These things are near bullet proof and had an assortment of
attachments. You could get one of these with a deck, snowthrower or tiller
for a pretty decent sum, and much less than new would cost. These things
have a huge following, so there is repair/restoration info galore!

I have a 212 I got for free. It had been sitting under a deck for about 12
years. I cleaned out the tank, put in some fresh gas, poured a little
Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinder, turned the engine over by hand a few
times and it fired right up. Had to rebuild the carb before putting it into
service and I also repainted it.

That was 6 years ago and it is still cranking along. It is a serious work
tractor and I've added things like weights and ag tires, and will soon be
adding hydraulics. Also have aquired a snowthrower for it and a blade.
Been working on finding a tiller.

Like I say, you should be pretty good with a wrench if you want to own one
of these, but they are real workhorses if you are inclined to fix one up.

news