Old 12-05-2004, 06:11 PM
HOIB

Default More moss than I know what to do with...

Good morning to the group here. Very nice forum.

I have an older lawn that suffers from moss. I've trimmed out trees (at
considerable expense) but I haven't done a pH test nor have I aerated yet.
I have run a dethatching rake over the area but it seems to remove too much
of the good grass too.

Next, I put down a moss reducing application from a hose-end sprayer. I'm
not sure if I used enough. Anyway, my question is if the moss dies out,
will I need to pull out and remove whatever material remains on the ground?
What will the dead moss areas look like in terms of color? It's spread over
a large area (a cluster here, a cluster there) and I detest the thought of
expending much effort.

Thanks so much.

H.

Old 13-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Die Spammer !!!

You should not need more then one application of Moss-Out per year ...

De-thatching should be done if moss/thatch is thicker then one inch and only if
moss/thatch is killing the grass plants.

Lawns can be alot of work. If you have money, have someone else do the work.

Old 13-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Bob

Moss likes acid soil, so lime heavily to help the grass and
discourage the moss. I've had some luck overseeding the moss
after it dies, lightly raking it in, then tamping it down or
rolling it over the seed to keep it moist. The seed seems to do
well.

Bob