Old 10-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Eyes Wide Open

Default Miracle-Gro for tomatoes

For the past couple of years I've been playing with Miracle-Grow products
(potting soil, plant food, tomato food) on my tomato plants. What I've
found with all of these products is that the plants absolutely grow like
crazy (I've had staked tomato plants reaching as high 8 - 10 feet. Problem
is that while the plants themselves experience tremendous growth, they don't
seem to yield quite as much fruit as their slower growing, non-Miracle-Grow
infused peers. I tend to just get big plants.

I was discussing this with a life-long produce and dairy farmer one day and
he told me he went back to conventional fertilizers after experiencing the
same thing with some experiments he tried.

Jeffery Rehm

Old 10-07-2004, 08:07 PM
William W. Plummer

Eyes Wide Open wrote:

For the past couple of years I've been playing with Miracle-Grow products
(potting soil, plant food, tomato food) on my tomato plants. What I've
found with all of these products is that the plants absolutely grow like
crazy (I've had staked tomato plants reaching as high 8 - 10 feet. Problem
is that while the plants themselves experience tremendous growth, they don't
seem to yield quite as much fruit as their slower growing, non-Miracle-Grow
infused peers. I tend to just get big plants.

I was discussing this with a life-long produce and dairy farmer one day and
he told me he went back to conventional fertilizers after experiencing the
same thing with some experiments he tried.

Jeffery Rehm

Many people fall for the Miracle Grow commercials. They are high in
nitrogen (1st number) and this makes lots of green growth. You need
high potash (middle number) for flowers and fruit.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:06 AM
Eyes Wide Open

Thanks for the lesson. Maybe I'll try some on my John Deere. Might wake up
to a bigger tractor.

By the way, I've noticed the same results with my wife's flowers. Tons of
growth, but not a bunch of blooms.