Old 30-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Default Q) Miracle Gro Potting Soil - Worth it?

TOM KAN PA wrote:

Is Miracle Gro potting soil worth the higher price? I wouldn't think so, must
be something that can be added to regular potting soil so the Miracle Gro
plants aren't four times as large as the other brand potting soil plants are
"As Seen on TV!"

"But wait! There's more!"

Works as advertised. Not overly expensive, since it doesn't collapse
while you're filling the pot.
Old 30-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Pat Kiewicz

TOM KAN PA said:

Is Miracle Gro potting soil worth the higher price? I wouldn't think so, must
be something that can be added to regular potting soil so the Miracle Gro
plants aren't four times as large as the other brand potting soil plants are
"As Seen on TV!"

"But wait! There's more!"

Their quality control and consistancy of product seems to be superior to
store brands and other cheaper stuff. When I've gone cheap on potting
soil, I've had incidents which resulted in dead plants or not so happy plants
surrounded by bizarre mushrooms; easily waterlogged containers or
impossible to re-wet pots; the stuff which had styrofoam pellets rather than
perlite to 'lighten' it; etc.

Miracle Grow potting soil is ammended with fertilizer, which many cheapo
brands aren't, and pH controlled, ditto.

If you are willing to mail-order, Gardener's Supply Company has some
pretty consistantly good stuff which I can recommend (not cheap, but
carefully made):

http://www.gardeners.com/

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 05-05-2003, 03:44 AM
SAS567

Is Miracle Gro potting soil worth the higher price?

Yes it is! It's the only kind I buy.
Sue in Mi. Zone 5
Old 06-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Susan K. Wehe

You can get the same results by adding a slow release fertilizer to any
potting soil. What they've done is simply mix the fertilizer in for
you. You get a lot of mileage (about 3-4 months) from a small amount
of Osmocote or organic fertilizer and quality potting soil doesn't cost
much.

susan

Frogleg wrote:

On 29 Apr 2003 20:55:36 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

Is Miracle Gro potting soil worth the higher price? I wouldn't think so, must
be something that can be added to regular potting soil so the Miracle Gro
plants aren't four times as large as the other brand potting soil plants are
"As Seen on TV!"

Just happened to have read a local TV station's test of this today. A
woman replicated the 2-marigold experiment, and while the MG wasn't
*twice* as big and bright, it was clearly a larger, happier plant. She
mentioned the un-heavy texture of the soil and was quite satisfied
with results.

Old 06-05-2003, 05:44 PM
pelirojaroja

I like it, but sometimes have a very hard time getting it wet the first
time. It can take forever, run off, etc. I think the peat may be hard to
moisten at first. How do you get this stuff to "moisten up" quickly -- any
ideas?
--
-- pelirojaroja

Old 06-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Philip Edward Lewis

"pelirojaroja" writes:
How do you get this stuff to "moisten up" quickly -- any ideas?

For "slow to absorb" soils, i tend to saturate and wait....
Put a garbage bag over the bag (just extra protection) and add water
to it.

It's not a "quick" way of wetting it, but if you do this before you
are ready to pot up with it, it'll already have a good bit of moisture
in it, so less time to bring it up to proper moisture content.

When my bag mixes start to go dry, i add a couple cups of water to
them... less dust when you pour the bag as well...

--
be safe.
flip

Old 07-05-2003, 03:56 AM
SAS567

I like it, but sometimes have a very hard time getting it wet the first
time. It can take forever, run off, etc. I think the peat may be hard to
moisten at first. How do you get this stuff to "moisten up" quickly -- any
ideas?

I put my pots in a bucket so the excess water can't drain as fast. Wets it down
thoroughly the first time. It works for me.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)
Old 07-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

pelirojaroja wrote:

I like it, but sometimes have a very hard time getting it wet the first
time. It can take forever, run off, etc. I think the peat may be hard to
moisten at first. How do you get this stuff to "moisten up" quickly -- any
ideas?

Moisten the soil first, in the bag, then pot.

[IMG] code is On

miracle gro shrub potting soil Jacqueline Davidson Gardening 0 26-10-2008 07:04 PM
Miracle Gro Potting Mix JJ Ponds 4 07-05-2006 04:08 AM
Miracle-Gro AZ CO & CA Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:21 AM
Miracle-Gro Creno Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:20 AM
miracle gro enriched potting mix Zphysics1 Edible Gardening 10 16-04-2003 05:56 PM