Old 16-07-2004, 08:03 AM
DaveL

Default Mower won't mulch like it used to

A problem I've been fighting for a few years now and have not found a
solution.

Simplicity Regency 12hp lawn tractor (about 1996?- last year the
hydrostatic drive handle was in the middle). It has a mulching kit
(which is just a discharge shoot block) and I use 'leaf cutters' on the
leaves. When I first got the tractor, it did a superb job of mulching -
both the grass clippings and leaves in the fall. The lasts three years
or so, it has started leaving a trail of grass clippings down the
middle, and it take repeated passes to chop up the leaves in the fall.

I typically mow once a week.

I have tried all the following with no success:
Sharpened the blades
Changed the blades
Cleaned the deck
Leveled the deck
Tilted the deck forward and backward
Changed the drive belt
Cheched the RPM
Mow more often

Still it leaves unsightly clippings. The neighbor with a cheap MTD gets
a better cut.

Any suggestions? What have I yet to try?

Dave
Old 16-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Bob

"DaveL" wrote in message ...
When I first got the tractor, it did a superb job of mulching -
both the grass clippings and leaves in the fall. The lasts three years
or so, it has started leaving a trail of grass clippings down the
middle, and it take repeated passes to chop up the leaves in the fall.

I typically mow once a week.

I have tried all the following with no success:
Sharpened the blades
Changed the blades
Cleaned the deck
Leveled the deck
Tilted the deck forward and backward
Changed the drive belt
Cheched the RPM
Mow more often

You did many unnecessay things as far as your mulching problem is concerned.

You said you changed the blade. There is a special mulching blade,
different from normal blades. They have more tilt to them and a curve
about halfway between end and center. The theory is that it sets up
upward air curents around the blade which blow the cutting up and as they
fall, the blade cuts them again, and again. They kinda work okay, but
you need to travel slower since (in theory) you are cutting more grass by
cutting the same grass more than once. The second thing is that the blade
must be kept very sharp for maximum effectiveness. By very sharp, I don't
mean new blade sharp, because most new blades are not sharp. I mean
knife-like sharp. The edge doesn't hold long, so blades need to be
sharpened frequently.

Don't know if any of this will help you or not. Hope so.

Bob-TX

Old 16-07-2004, 02:13 PM
Srgnt Bilko

Is it possible that somewhere along the line you ended up getting slightly
shorter blades than the original ? A quarter inch difference on each blade
? Could there be a vent hole blocked on the deck ?

Old 17-07-2004, 05:09 AM
DaveL

Bob wrote:

"DaveL" wrote in message ...

I have tried all the following with no success:
Sharpened the blades
Changed the blades
Cleaned the deck
Leveled the deck
Tilted the deck forward and backward
Changed the drive belt
Cheched the RPM
Mow more often

You did many unnecessay things as far as your mulching problem is concerned.

You said you changed the blade. There is a special mulching blade,
different from normal blades.

The new blade I tried was called a 'gator' blade. It looked like it had
greater lift, and a serrated trailing edge.

The second thing is that the blade
must be kept very sharp for maximum effectiveness. By very sharp, I don't
mean new blade sharp, because most new blades are not sharp. I mean
knife-like sharp. The edge doesn't hold long, so blades need to be
sharpened frequently.

I normally have the blades sharpened at the local hardware store. When
they are done, they have all the nicks ground out, but they are not
knife sharp. I'll have to see what kind of an edge I can get on them.

Don't know if any of this will help you or not. Hope so.

Me too, thanks.
Old 17-07-2004, 05:10 AM
DaveL

Srgnt Bilko wrote:

Is it possible that somewhere along the line you ended up getting slightly
shorter blades than the original ? A quarter inch difference on each blade
? Could there be a vent hole blocked on the deck ?

I'm pretty sure the current blades on the machine are the original.
Unless they got switched when they were in for sharpening. The closest
approach of one blade to the other is about 1/4 inch or so, and they are
staggered in the cutting path - there *should* be overlap in the cutting
path.

I don't recall seeing any vent holes in the deck, but I'll take a good
look next time I drop the deck.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 17-07-2004, 05:10 AM
CW

Make sure your tire pressures are to spec.

My Snapper Hi-Vac was doing a terrible job of mulching--wasn't leaving
a trail but it was a pretty uneven cut. I found that my tire
pressures were way low. Couldn't believe it made that big of a
difference but the cut is much much better now.

CW
Old 25-07-2004, 09:02 PM
DaveL

DaveL wrote:

Bob wrote:

"DaveL" wrote in message ...

I have tried all the following with no success:

You did many unnecessay things as far as your mulching problem is concerned.

You said you changed the blade. There is a special mulching blade,
different from normal blades.

The new blade I tried was called a 'gator' blade.

The second thing is that the blade
must be kept very sharp for maximum effectiveness. By very sharp, I don't
mean new blade sharp, because most new blades are not sharp. I mean
knife-like sharp. The edge doesn't hold long, so blades need to be
sharpened frequently.

I normally have the blades sharpened at the local hardware store. When
they are done, they have all the nicks ground out, but they are not
knife sharp. I'll have to see what kind of an edge I can get on them.

Well, I spent quite a bit of time and put the best edge I could on the
blades. They were not razor sharp, but there were knife edge sharp- I
wouldn't have wanted to run my finger down one.

Cleaned the deck again when I was working on the blades. Bearings are
all snug, there is no up and down or side to side play in the shafts.
The blades pass each other with about 1/4 inch clearance. The belt
appears OK, and I retensioned it.

No improvement. It's almost as if the airflow under the deck is blowing
the clipping into the ground down the middle of the deck. It leaves a
trail right down the middle. Multiple passes over the same area in
different directions only move the clippings around.

There has got to be something simple I am missing, but I sure can't
figure out what it is.......
Old 26-07-2004, 01:02 AM
News Man

You may have the blade mounted backwards or upside down. It happens. I
know (first-hand). It's easy to check.

"DaveL" wrote in message

Old 26-07-2004, 02:03 AM
DaveL

News Man wrote:

You may have the blade mounted backwards or upside down. It happens. I
know (first-hand). It's easy to check.

I'm sure it happens, but I've checked that at least 3 or 4 times....

"DaveL" wrote in message

Old 28-07-2004, 10:32 PM
Bill Freeman

Is your mower a mulching mower? Does it have a discharge chute
attachment that forces the discharge back onto the blade? Just adding a
mulching blade will not make a mower "mulch," per se. What's your brand
etc.?

"DaveL" wrote in message

Old 29-07-2004, 06:24 AM
DaveL

Bill Freeman wrote:

Is your mower a mulching mower? Does it have a discharge chute
attachment that forces the discharge back onto the blade? Just adding a
mulching blade will not make a mower "mulch," per se. What's your brand
etc.?

Yes. It's a Simplicity Regent Hydro12, with 36" cut. (somewhere around
a 1996 model year) It has a 'mulching kit' on it, which really consists
of just a plate across the discharge chute. Worked well at first, but
for the last few years just will not chop up those clipping.

"DaveL" wrote in message

Old 29-07-2004, 10:31 AM
Bob

"DaveL" wrote in message ...

I have tried all the following with no success:

There has got to be something simple I am missing, but I sure can't
figure out what it is.......

It sure sounds like you have all the right things and then some. Perhaps
there are other reasons. At one point you mentioned that in recent years,
it has not been mulching good. Are you mowing a different grass?

No doubt this problem can be fixed. But, without seeing it, I am at a
loss. Your descriptions are good, but are only what you observe.
Sometimes a different person may notice something that someone else has
overlooked and therefore could not include in a verbal/written description.

I'd suggest taking it to a local mower shop - not a large company like Sears
that sells mowers - just a fixit shop where you can talk to the owner,
manager, and mechanic (all in one person). Just talking doesn't cost,
and he might look at it as a challange (I know I would) and get real
interested in the problem.

Sorry I can't come up with anything better than this to offer.

Bob

Old 29-07-2004, 01:18 PM
GFRfan

Bob wrote:
"DaveL" wrote in message ...

[...]

Just a thought.
How long are you letting the grass get and how much are you cutting off?
1/3 the height of the grass is what's recommended. Mulchers don't work
very well in tall grass.
Old 29-07-2004, 02:31 PM
AustinMN

DaveL wrote:
Bill Freeman wrote:

Is your mower a mulching mower? Does it have a discharge chute
attachment that forces the discharge back onto the blade? Just adding a
mulching blade will not make a mower "mulch," per se. What's your brand
etc.?

Yes. It's a Simplicity Regent Hydro12, with 36" cut. (somewhere around
a 1996 model year) It has a 'mulching kit' on it, which really consists
of just a plate across the discharge chute. Worked well at first, but
for the last few years just will not chop up those clipping.

Has it lost blade speed? Is there some way the blades could be turning
backwards (not likely, but possible with a few mowers)?

Austin

Old 29-07-2004, 02:36 PM
DaveL

AustinMN wrote:

DaveL wrote:
Bill Freeman wrote:

Is your mower a mulching mower? Does it have a discharge chute
attachment that forces the discharge back onto the blade? Just adding a
mulching blade will not make a mower "mulch," per se. What's your brand
etc.?

Yes. It's a Simplicity Regent Hydro12, with 36" cut. (somewhere around
a 1996 model year) It has a 'mulching kit' on it, which really consists
of just a plate across the discharge chute. Worked well at first, but
for the last few years just will not chop up those clipping.

Has it lost blade speed? Is there some way the blades could be turning
backwards (not likely, but possible with a few mowers)?

Austin

Blades are turning the right direction, and are mounted properly. Check
RPM on advice of an email from Simplicity service and found it proper at
2500 RPM. Belt has been tightened and then replaced. A real mystery...

Dave