Old 25-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Desmond Cockburn

Default Sears mower deck problem

I am having a problem with a Sears 42 inch EZ3 mower deck.

This mower is about 7 years old and the motor runs fine. Lets see, how can
I describe this? One blade cut lower at the point where the blades pass
each other in the middle.

The level of the deck itself is spot on with the deck down in the mow
position. With the mower jacked up the blades appear to be level in the
middle where the blades meet. The left blade cuts maybe a half to three
quarters of an inch deeper than the right blade, again, where the blades
meet in the middle.

This deck has cut this way for about three years and is not the first Sears
I have had this problem with. Last year I replaced the blade shafts and
housings but the problem has returned by the end of mowing season. I put on
a new set of blades each spring. I have placed the blades atop one another
and neither blade is bent.

The shafts and housings are 90 bucks for the two and a new complete deck is
about $450.00.

Any ideas on how to cure this problem, short of replacing the mower with a
Deere ? Your assistance is appreciated.

Des, the Bewildered.

Old 25-07-2004, 10:03 PM
n3whs

"Desmond Cockburn" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

I dont know how much to mow or what your looking for but here is some ideas.
Also some more info... is needed. What size yard? what type of ex. hill
wet... ect ect.

Dont buy stamp decked mowers. Buy fabricated decks. Its going to cost you
some money.
If this isnt a option you might want to hire a LCO.
Or you could spend 800 to 1500 for a pull behind mower like swisher. Also
depends on what size lot you have.
http://shop.forthefarm.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=148

Old 26-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Srgnt Bilko

[...]

How about trying to change the timing of the two blades - eg when one hits
the middle vs the other. Might be useless but doesn't cost anything and
only takes a minute.

Old 26-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Desmond Cockburn

"Srgnt Bilko" wrote in message

How about trying to change the timing of the two blades - eg when one hits
the middle vs the other. Might be useless but doesn't cost anything and
only takes a minute.

For the life of me I can't think of how to do that. Figure I'll end up with
a forehead smack when you tell me. hehe

Des, the Elder.

Old 26-07-2004, 11:03 AM
GFRfan

Desmond Cockburn wrote:
"Srgnt Bilko" wrote in message

How about trying to change the timing of the two blades - eg when one hits
the middle vs the other. Might be useless but doesn't cost anything and
only takes a minute.

For the life of me I can't think of how to do that. Figure I'll end up with
a forehead smack when you tell me. hehe

Des, the Elder.

Just grab one blade, after disconnecting the spark plug(s) and ensuring
the blades are disengaged, and turn it perpendicular to the other blade
while holding the other blade in place. The belt should slip enough to
allow this. Good luck. Sounds like a reasonable idea to me.

Old 26-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Tim

are the blades level? My 50" deck is "bent" from heavy mowing so the middle
blade leans a bit due to the belt pull.

Old 28-07-2004, 01:03 PM
evolutionman 2004

Had the same problem with my Sears 42-inch mower (brand new model!!!).
However, it wasn't in the blades, their pitch angle, or related to them
whatsovever. Prior to the grass being cut by the blades, it is run over by
a center roller bar located ahead of the blades (center of the blade
overlap). I discovered that the pin/axle holding this item in place wasn't
adjusted properly (too low). It was mashing the grass down so by the time
it sprang back up, the blades had already passed over that area. When I
reset the roller blade (like you do with the scalping wheels), I eliminated
the uncut row of grass problem. Check it out; cheaper than new blades,
etc..

Sears deck prices Srgnt Billko Lawns 0 07-10-2007 12:36 AM
SPARK PLUG or GASLINE PROBLEM ??? SEARS MOWER 6HP HONG Gardening 7 07-05-2004 12:03 AM
Sears rear engine bagger 30 inch deck riding mower Ed Dudek Gardening 2 02-09-2003 03:22 PM
Sears Craftsman Eager (Tecumseh Engine) Push Mower Problem Bill Lawns 4 23-06-2003 01:08 AM
JD LT160 mower deck problem Chad Graybill Lawns 2 30-04-2003 11:56 PM